Help me fix my moms computer.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by HipHopHead, Jan 2, 2005.

1. HipHopHead

HipHopHead Well-Known Member

Posted in the main forum but looking for more input.

Gateway something or other. P4 1.4. Was running XP Pro. It got fucked up somehow. Whenever you booted up before it did anything said there was a problem with the hard drive and went to some diagnostic stuff for like 20 mins checking the disc and every sector or whatever said it was unreadable then it finally booted to the XP loading screen after all the checks and after about 5 mins of the bar going back and forth it kinda went into Windows. Just a black screen with the mouse pointer in the center of the screen. If you put in a CD the little CD icon popped up next to the cursor like it was trying to do something but nothing. I wasn't sure if Windows was just fucked or a hardware problem. I was gonna do a fresh install of Windows and it started fine. Formatted and created a partition fine and started to install. It froze up on installation though. Got to like 33 mins left to install and I left it for an hour and it didn't move at all. Tried to reboot and now there is no signal going to the monitor. Has some Nvidia cheap old card. MX something or other I think. Not to familiar with it just remember seeing it in the past I think. No on baord video. Took the HDD out and tried to format it in my PC and it got like 8% done and froze and eventualy said Windows could not format the drive. Went and bought a new HDD this morning and it still won't fire up the monitor. It's like the vid card is fucked too but it was fine before. Only been fucked since I rebooted during the Windows installation. Maybe there is no driver or something for it now? :confused: What to do?

2. HipHopHead

HipHopHead Well-Known Member

Well I took my vid card out and put it in her somputer and same problem. Took the battery out of the mobo for a 1/2 hour too to see it resetting it would work and nothing.