help me fix my laptop v.paypal reward

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by happyrobots, Feb 13, 2006.

1. happyrobots

happyrobots Ü

Yes, I'll reward you paypal if you do solve my problems with laptop. Not a large sum, but some $.

On to the problem.
    As you can see in the first picture all I was doing is using was 3 IE's and trillan. This problem does occur with only 2 IE windows as well however, and always seems to idle odd. Odd meaning it jumps around and rarely is low, usually around 20-65%, avg of 35?.
    The screenshot below was taken during this problem (tho it still occurs). It was at 100% for a good minute, then finally dropped where you can see, then went back to 100%.....all while I was doing nothing but watching it!!
    [​IMG]

The laptop is a Celeron 2.8 toshiba, 512 ram. I know it's not high end and a celeron, but it should work just fine with a few IE windows and word or something, shouldn't it?

There was a fresh installation of XP install w/ service pack 1(installed from the toshiba cd w/ all the drivers and crap [aol and what not]). I upgraded to SP2 and checked for viruses - nothing. I have no clue what should be running and what shouldn't be running, but I stopped some processes that I thought didn't need to be running, and some still might be running. I want only what is need to run running, obviously. It's a laptop and needs the wifi running, and the touchpad, thats about it that I cant think of besides the usual.
    Here's the processes that were running when this was happening. (it does still happen often, but just talking about this occurance since I have pics).
    [​IMG]

Please help, free reward if you can, and I'm serious.

2. rpark

rpark New Member

I would first start by searching google with each process name.

If one comes up as bad, you have your answer.

I would do it for you for the reward, but midterms :sadwavey:

EDIT: You have a lot of processes BTW.

3. happyrobots

happyrobots Ü

Yes I know, which is why I want to get rid of them. Seems like all are needed. Half are windows crap, and half just say for toshiba laptop (when searching). So i don't know if i can disable them or not...eek.
    Oh, I also unistalled all of the crap I didn't need. AOL, etc.

4. rpark

rpark New Member

Can you catch the process that hits high CPU usage?

Try this:

Sort the process list by CPU usage. (sort with the most usage on top.)

Double click just right of the scroll bar (yes, where there is nothing there).

Now go about your normal routine, and see if one process spikes up that doesn't seem like it belongs.

EDIT: It helps to keep the taskman on top of everything and maybe minimized so that you may still work.

5. happyrobots

happyrobots Ü

I'll give it a try. I'm on my desktop right now and lazy.

6. 4thgenceli

4thgenceli Active Member

I'd run HiJack This first, then hit the lappy w/ a barrage of antispy/adaware shit

then run Hijack This again, and compare the results, should be better.

7. Mac

Mac It varies from season to season, kid. OT Supporter

go to RUN and type "msconfig", then select "diagnostic startup".Reboot..then fiddle with the system for a few hours doing the tasks u outlined above, if u dont have problems, then we'll know that whatever is causing yer issues is being loaded at startup and can possibly be disabled.

8. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

Kill all IE processes and see if performance gets better. Open IE again and check that only one IExporer process starts. If you get two then you probably have some annoying spyware

9. happyrobots

happyrobots Ü

It isn't IE (i think). It'll do this after starting up and has been idle, or while typing in word then being idle, etc.
    I also opened one IE browser, and it only showed one iexplorer.exe.

4thgenceli, can you tell me more about HiJack this before I run it like you've said? I don't know much about it but would try anything to get this thing running properly.

Also, for watching the CPU usage monitor, do you mean watch the mem usage? It doesn't catorgorize by CPU usage, only mem.

10. d0rkus

d0rkus I has a booger. OT Supporter

11. MrMan

MrMan New Member

Not looking for a reward, but looks like your system is using more RAM than what is physically available, therefore it is page swapping files to hard drive (virtual memory). This reduces performance drastically. In this case, your computer is using 346MB more RAM than what is physically available.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2006
  12. happyrobots

happyrobots Ü

You won't get a reward if I have to buy more ram, dont worry!!! haha, jk... but since you insisted

13. MrMan

MrMan New Member

lol... looking at your task manager, it looks like you use Norton Suite. Norton is known to use a lot of RAM. Windows XP also. So that's not a good combination.

14. AndyP

AndyP OT Supporter

My laptop did the same thing. I uninstalled Norton, and the problem went away...

15. happyrobots

happyrobots Ü

Alright, I'll unistall norton and try that. Should I grab AVG? I use it on my desktop and no problems yet, but I'll try something else, esp if it uses low cpu/mem.
    As you can see, I changed xp to classic and everything. I'm pretty sure that makes things a little fasters.....but not fast enough.

16. irunbackwards

irunbackwards Member

grab nod32 anti virus <3

17. AndyP

AndyP OT Supporter

if that works, you're welcome... i dont have paypal so it's on me :hs: