Help me fine tuen my MMA weights workout.

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Sylva, Sep 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sylva

Sylva New Member

Help me fine tune my MMA weights workout.

PULL:
    Deadlift
    Barbell rows.
    Weighted pull ups.
    Face pulls.

PUSH:
    Push Press
    Barbell bench press.(alternate with incline or decline???)
    Weighted dips.
    Neider press.
    Military Press

SQUAT:
    Back squat.
    Front squats.
    Goodmornings.
    Standing calf raises.

POWER(saturday and or sunday)
    Dumbell snatch.
    Powerclean.
    Sledge hammer work.(if accessible)
    Keg lifts.(if accessible)

GRIP(saturday and or sunday)
    Farmer walks.
    Pinch grips.
    Thor’s hammer.
    Im will throw in one abs movement everyday or every other day.
    MONDAY
    REPETITION / ENDURANCE DAY
    Weight: Roughly 70% of your one rep max for 15 reps, however the actual weight lifted is largely dependent on your specific fiber type make-up coupled with the neurological efficiency of the muscles responsible for the movement performed.
    Every two weeks add 5 lbs to the bar; however it is important that you complete 15 full reps with a given weight before re-adding 5 lbs to the bar. At times you will be stuck lifting the same weight for several weeks before adding further poundages.
    Perform 2 sets x 15 reps with roughly 1 minute rest between sets. If needed, you can rest longer, however your ultimate goal is to decrease your rest time to one minute or less.

WEDNESDAY
    DYNAMIC EFFORT DAY
    Weight: 50 - 60% of your single rep max performed extremely explosively.
    Every 2 weeks add 5 lbs to the bar for a period of 6 weeks, and then drop 15 lbs and restart the process.
    For this day only, use powercleans instead of deadlifts since powercleans mimic the deadlift action, but are far more explosive thus addressing the required goal for this day.
    Perform 8 sets x 3 reps with 45 seconds rest between sets for all movements except for the powerclean. For the powerclean perform 8 sets x 1 rep with 45 seconds rest.

Friday
    MAXIMUM EFFORT DAY
    Weight: The most weight that you can perform for 3 reps.
    Deadlift: 5 x 3 – 90 seconds rest between sets. With your other lifts 4 x 5 – 90 seconds rest between sets.
    Every 2 weeks, strive to add 5 lbs to the bar for a period of 6 weeks, and then drop 15 lbs and restart the process.

* WEEK 1: WORKOUT 1........... WORKOUT 2.........WORKOUT 3

* WEEK 2: WORKOUT 2........... WORKOUT 3......... WORKOUT 1

* WEEK 3: WORKOUT 3........... WORKOUT 1......... WORKOUT 2

* WEEK 1:
    MONDAY = WORKOUT 1:
    WEDNESDAY = WORKOUT 2:
    Friday= WORKOUT 3:

* WEEK 2:
    MONDAY = WORKOUT 2:
    WEDNESDAY = WORKOUT 3:
    Friday = WORKOUT 1:

* WEEK 3:
    MONDAY = WORKOUT 3:
    WEDNESDAY = WORKOUT 1:
    Friday = WORKOUT 2:

I know it only goes to 3 weeks but would do it for 3 have a light week at 4 to give my body and CNS a rest then start to up it again for 3-4 and so on. Please keep in mind while having a better body is a goal too(but not specfically for this routine), this is not for hypertrophy. I want functional strength and endurance for mma. Others on other boards have said it was great, just needed to fine tune some aspects. Some said I was trying to accomplish to much. Just seeing what you guys think.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2006
  2. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

cliffs?

3. uofapeter

uofapeter New Member

whats the point of switching up the ordering of the exercises every week?

also this seems like a huge amount of volume, especially if you are training hard and rolling everyday.
    if you can do it thats awesome, but i think you will be very burnt out after a week of this.

i have trouble on the bill starr routine and doing mma 5 days a week, and you will be doing way more volume and adding in 2 more days on the weekends. to pull this off you will probably need to eat an insane amount of food, and sleep at least ten or more hours a day

4. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

Having tried doing the star routine that gets posted here, and then trying to do bjj on top of it, I was dying. I don't think there's a snowballs chance in hell he's going to be able to do all of this and fight on top of it honestly. Maybe if he doesn't have a job and can devote all day every day to lifting and fighting, but on a normal adult schedule, I don't see it happening.

5. HighwayReaper

HighwayReaper New Member

I would look into some 1 arm dumbell rows.. if you get strong enough you should be able to literaly pull your arm out of an Arm bar before its locked in place.

6. tenmeikanoh

tenmeikanoh New Member

If you have a job and/or a girlfriend, props to you if you can do all this and MMA during the week.

I could see doing this if I were a pro fighter and had no job.

7. uofapeter

uofapeter New Member

not really, cause if they have any strength at all you will just end up lifting them off the ground as they hold on

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.