Help me find a laptop...$5 offer

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by spyder2581, Mar 15, 2007.

1. spyder2581

spyder2581 Active Member

Help me find the best laptop for its price (help me find a limited time offer or something similar). I am looking to buy it at the end of next week so whoever comes up with the one I choose gets $5 through paypal. I am not looking to spend more than 800. Go go go:x:

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

3. 7960

7960 New Member

I don't care about the $5

How do you define "best"?
    What *must* the laptop have?
    What would you *like* the laptop to have?
    What do you plan to do with it?
    What OS do you want? (do you care?)
    What stores are near you?
    What city do you live in? (different regions have different special offers)
    Are there any brands you would never own?

........."find me the best laptop" isn't very helpful.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

for $800 if you're limiting yourself to new hardware, you are probably only going to find crap.

5. 7960

7960 New Member

here we go again

Gateway's laptops are rated "good" to "average" to "better than average" depending on which site you read. Given that, tell me how this laptop is "crap"
    Gateway Notebook with Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core Mobile Processor T2060, Model: MX8711

This notebook features power with convenient portability to maintain your multimedia lifestyle on the go. Watch your favorite DVDs on the Ultrabright-enhanced widescreen LCD, or connect to a regular TV via S-video, so everyone can watch.
    • Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core mobile processor T2060 with 533MHz frontside bus, 1MB L2 cache and 1.6GHz processor speed
    • 1GB PC4200 DDR2 memory for multitasking power, expandable to 2GB
    • Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support
    • 17" WXGA+ TFT-LCD widescreen display
    • 100GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)
    • Built-in high-speed wireless LAN (802.11b/g)
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8224762&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat103700050019&id=1166840116855

$700 (on sale)

[​IMG]

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yea, cause best buy reviews are the be-all-end-all of technology review :mamoru:

You wanna get a computer from best buy, circuit city, walmart, wherever... then that's your choice. I think you're fucking retarded for doing it... But I think it says somewhere in the constitution that you have every right to completely ignore good products and pay for shitty ones. Something about a free economy, or such.

7. deusexaethera

I own a Gateway laptop that's lasted eight years so far. The only repair I've made is replacing the battery. Like a Thinkpad, it has a metal skeleton under the plastic exterior -- I am convinced that this is the single most important feature any laptop can have, weight-be-damned.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Yea, I have a dell from back in the day that still runs xubuntu great. But I wouldn't buy a new dell....

Ever heard "don't build em like they used to" ??

9. 7960

7960 New Member

I'm talking about independent reviews by PCMag, PCWorld. So while you think you're being smart you're actually showing just how fucking stupid you really are.

-1 for ignorance.

And it also allows you to be a complete asshole for thinking that buying a laptop at best buy, circuit city, walmart, etc, is any different than the one you pay more for elsewhere.

-1 for jackassery

But, you can redeem yourself. I see you running your dicksucker about "best buy sucks, gateway sucks, $800 laptop sucks blah blah blah" but you haven't contributed anything to this thread. How about you tell us what you'd buy? How about you go on about how Dell is so superior (oh wait, you hate dell), or how Toshiba rocks (oh wait, they make "bricks") or some other shit.

That $800 (sorry, $700 on sale) Gateway laptop is going to last a while. Barring anything that would destroy any laptop, that Gateway is going to be reliable, inexpensive, and have enough juice to do what he needs done for the foreseeable years to come.

So go ahead, tell us how we're all sheep because we don't solder chips on our own motherboards or McGiver memory from gum wrappers and pencil led, but while you're down there ripping the aglets off your laces to make the serial pins how about you suc8$%^*#$)(*)_+...................

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Every Fucking Thread I Say This:

Buy A Fucking Asus Or Ibm And Spend The Few Hundred Extra.

If You're Gonna Trust Pc Mag Or Pc World Or Shit Like That You Truely Are A Fucking Dumbass

11. 7960

7960 New Member

They both had IBM at the top. So which is it?? Do we believe them when they say IBM is best and Gateway is pretty fucking good? Or do we not believe them because they put Gateway *near* the top even though that makes IBM shit because the rating was done by PCMag?

Take your pick... either IBM is #1 and Gateway is pretty good, or the entire review is bullshit and IBM isn't #1.

That Gateway laptop is everything most people (and more, actually) in terms of performance, reliability, features, upgradeability, etc. So "Spending The Few Hundred Extra" is pretty fucking stupid if you ask me.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

It's not an "all or nothing" deal. IBM is the undisputed top.. even PC Mag and their bullshit cant claim their not. But just because they admit IBM is top doesn't mean everything else they say is correct.

$200 extra is fucking nothing to get a better system.

13. 7960

7960 New Member

Ahh, so they put IBM top because "everyone knows" but they put Gateway near the top because they're intentionally trying to skew results knowing if they get caught they'll ruin their reputation among the group who buys their product.

That's assholish.

ahh, right, so if someone can afford $800 then there's no reason he can't afford something 25% more so he should buy the $1000 one. But wait!! If he can buy a $1000 one then he can afford something 25% more so he should buy the $1250 one. Hold the goddam phone tonto.....if he can afford $1250 then he can afford 25% more then he can afford $1562.50. But if he can afford $1562.50 then that cheap fucker can afford $1953.13!!

What an asshole buying an $800 computer when he can afford one that costs $1953.13!!!

That's assholish.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2007
  14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

no, you're just a dumbass troll. You hear what you want because it makes your pussy wet.

15. s2k

s2k OT Supporter

16. 7960

7960 New Member

You are so fucking stupid.

spyder2581,

Check your sunday paper for deals at Best Buy. Find a friend who's a member of Best Buy's rewards program and ask him to let you know when he gets a 10% off coupon in the mail (I get them at least monthly). Use that coupon in conjunction with a sale to get even more off. The gateway laptop I listed was origianlly $850 on sale to $700........another 10% off that ($70) brings it to $630.

$630 for a laptop rated in the same ballpark as Dell and only slightly lower than IBM on the consumer-rating reviews. $630 for a laptop with a 17" widescreen, 1g ram, 1.6M processor, 100g hard drive, built-in wireless, and dual-layer DVD/CD+RW.

Only a pompous moran asshole would think that's not a good deal.

17. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

same ballpark as dell :rofl: so you are admitting it's a piece of shit :mamoru:

18. 7960

7960 New Member

oh yeah, that's right.......

spyder2581, if you didn't personally mold the plastic for the case and fashion your own laser for the optical drive then you can consider yourself a failure. Our resident douche has Big Blue in his basement so if you're not spending $3k on your next computer you're an asshole too.......... or jollyogre is so full of shit it's embarassing to be in the same thread as him. Take your pick which is more correct :rolleyes:

19. deusexaethera

Depends which model you buy; top of the line models rarely drop in quality because they're representative of the best a company can produce. If I could find a new Gateway with a metal skeleton (I haven't looked because I'm not in the market for a laptop), I'd feel comfortable buying it.

20. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Well, dell as an example, has not kept anything the same... They don't even use the same vendors that they used to. They made a huge switch back around 1997 and began their path to the shit we have today.

21. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Well I guess it's probably useless to chime in since this thread has gone to shit just like every other recommend me a laptop thread, but I can't recommend Dell enough.

If you have a mall near you, they usually have a Dell outlet center (mall cart) with some of their machines on display. Go there and check them out, you wont be disappointed.

I have an XPS laptop (even though out of your $$ range) and I love it to death. I am on this thing 7 days a week and it has never skipped a beat, not once.

22. 7960

7960 New Member

You must be lying. Dell makes shit. They changed all their suppliers so now their screens are made from milk jugs that were sliced open and wrapped around coat hangers!

Go there to check them out but don't buy it there...they don't give any deals for buying from a store. Write down what you want and go online and build it and wait until someone posts up a dell coupon before buying.

...and then bring it straight to JO's house so he can piss his excellence in the PCMCIA slot.

(edit: btw, dell does make a decent laptop)