Help me find a bike. Light touring

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by VP1, Jun 19, 2008.

1. VP1

VP1 New Member

Hey guys,
    I'm looking into getting a bike in the near future. I currently ride a 2006 Vespa and a 1958 Vespa. I'm thinking of selling my '06 Vespa and getting a bike so I can do a little bit of exploring up in Northern California.

I'll have a passenger most of the time (she is light though) so passenger comfort is very important.

Basically I'm looking for a comfortable bike that is capable of taking a passenger on some day and weekend trips around the state, and possibly further.

I need to keep it under $5000 so I'll definitely be looking at something used.

Any ideas?
    Thanks-VP1

2. squid

squid braap

VFR
    SV650S

3. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Personally? If it's weekend trips 2 up then I would be avoiding sportbikes or pseudo sportbikes completely.
    Sport tourers are good choices but you are going to be limited by your price limitations. You can sometimes find an older FJR1300 around your price. Kawasaki Concours also show up for even less.

From there you move into cruisers and true tourers.
    for cruisers you have bikes like the Vulcan, VTX, and other similar bikes with sizes from 650cc to 2300cc. For 2 up and longer distances I'd be starting in the 1100-1300cc range.

For tourers you can find older goldwings, cavalcades and Ventures but these are the big boys and designed for long days in the saddle and eating up hundreds/thousands of miles a trip.

Also remember, you will need luggage if you are talking weekend trips with 2 people. soft are good, hardcases better, Built in luggage best.
    Some bikes have optional factory luggage but that shit is usually so overpriced its outrageous so look for aftermarket.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008