Help me figure out what I'm doing wrong...

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by DatacomGuy, Aug 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Originally 240lbs. Started in January and dropped down to 198lbs (around April) with strict diet and cardio.

Started lifting at the end of April and dropped the cardio, and ate at maint. for about 3 months +. Anywhere from 2200-2700 cals a day. For example yesterday my diet was 2300cals, 60g of fat, 180carbs, 240g of protein.

I've made some great changes in composition physically, as well as strength gains while I enjoyed the whole noob gain phase. I'm in the process of changing gyms, and evaluating my routine because I do more isolation exercises then compound and I feel I have a lot more strength to build on.

But anyway, I've gained some weight back and I sit at 209 this morning. I realize some of that is in muscle gain and I understand that its hard to go by the scale anymore; however some of the weight I've gained is fat, and I am gaining fat in the midsection and feel like a fat slob again. I was getting to the point where I was losing my love handles and fat on the chest and back, and now its starting to come back again.

I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong so I can continue to burn more fat. I've added cardio back in my routine on my off days (elliptical for the most part). I stopped EC about 2 weeks ago because I ran out and haven't been able to find it. Thinking of starting EC-Y shortly.

Let me know what details you need.. but any advise would be great. I have a feeling its all diet related, but curious what you guys think. I can't think of any other changes to make to my diet without dropping to the 1800cal range...

Last edited: Aug 9, 2006
  2. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

Use some Y.. good that you added the cardio back in, you obviously knew that was an issue. It's not easy to add muscle without at least putting on a little bit of fat.. try some sort of thermogenic :dunno:

3. bigdamray

bigdamray New Member

Yep, got to up that cardio. Maybe your body is use to your diet, maybe try something different like NHE or something else for a while.

4. DatacomGuy

Friend of mine is pushing me to try Clen. Not sure I want to go that route.

What is NHE? I was thinking of trying Keto, just for something different as well.. I love my veggies and fruit though..

5. bigdamray

bigdamray New Member

6. Chris3G

Chris3G Bullshark Testosterone

how sure are you about your calorie totals? That would be the first place i would look. It's SO easy to underestimate by a few hundred cals.

if you are 100% sure you are getting it correct, and you are slowly gaining weight on that amount, then the simple fact is that you are aren't at maintenance, you're above it. Formulas and such are just a starting point - the only way to figure out what is really maintenance for you is to do it, and adjust. You can either lower calories slightly or increase your cardio to make up the difference.

7. DatacomGuy

Well, I did notice a month or two ago that I was totally underestimating. I started using fitday again and realized I was eating 200-400 over what I thought, so I adjusted down. I've been using fitday daily for the last 30-45 days..

Is it even possible for a 209lb guy to have maint cals at 2000cal or under? Just seems crazy to me that I'd have to eat at 1800-2000cal a day or maintain. I still want to bulk as soon as I get rid of all this garbage fat.

But I understand and agree.. It's as simple as cals in < cals out..

8. PurEvl

PurEvl going out gassed and not half assed...

drop your carbs to 100 for 4 days and do 1 hour of cardio for those 4 days and see if your appetite increases and your weight drops on the 5th day.

Cardio is the biggest factor, but you need to start cycling your carbs and fats to get the body burning again

9. Chris3G

it's possible, especially after all the super low-cal dieting you did previously. Actually i think i remember telling you that you might have to expect a little fat gain as you bring your cals back up to a more normal level. I'd first make sure you are getting your counts correct (weigh things if you have to) and 2nd increase cardio.

10. DatacomGuy

Do weights as well? Or just cardio?

I did expect a little fat gain, but with the gain I did make plus the little fat I had left, I'm back to not being happy again. I want to get down as lean as I can so I can start back on the bulk path. I'm just too unhappy with the appearance as it is..

11. PurEvl

absolutely train

12. Chris3G

yes of course train, add cardio, and don't lower your calories any further right now, or else you're going to get yourself back into the same situation as you were in before, where you body is adapted to maintaining on a paltry daily intake.

13. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

As Chris said, how sure are you about your intake ?

14. Elfling

Elfling New Member

What the abs man said.

15. Zaffir

Zaffir OT Supporter

Very interesting.

16. DatacomGuy

Thanks for all the input guys (and gal).. I'm going to try the low carb/carb refeed that Pur suggested.. I know it's worked for others in the past, so its worth a shot. I'll keep everyone abreast. :mamoru:

17. Elfling

Elfling New Member

When/if you do this- just be prepared for scale shock on the carb-up days. And don't go hog wild..keep the refeeds low-fat.

I've fucked up enough refeed days in my time :mamoru:

18. PurEvl

i have pm'd him what to try, gonna have him go 3 days low with upped fats then a 4th day high carb (180ish) with the fats dropped. Protein can be a constant 240. As long as he does this with the cardio i suggested he will respark his fat loss. This is common with long term diets, the body tends to get smart and will even store protein as fat if you get to low bf wise. Hes not quite there yet ;) If he gets that lean, I will readjust.

And also, I dont care who tells you, refeeds are still clean diet type carbs/foods, not crap. You are what you eat.

19. DatacomGuy

:coold: You guys are awesome.

20. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

:hsugh: That is deffinately not a good idea.

21. Zaffir

Zaffir OT Supporter

This makes what happened at the end of my cut make a lot more sense. I was eating around 1500 calories a day and not really losing weight, even though i was lifting hard and had plenty of fat to lose.

Thanks for the info Pur.

22. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

so you're a huge dbol/drol tab? :coold:

23. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

You realise that as your weight falls, the number of calories you require also falls? You wouldn't eat the same amount at 198 as you would at 240.

You need to reduce calories as your weight falls in order to maintain weight loss.

24. PurEvl

only to a point, you cant go to low

25. PurEvl

i dont really use orals like that

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.