Help me decide what my first laptop should be.. v.College student

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by violator, Sep 6, 2006.

1. violator

violator New Member

I'm in the market for a new computer and I've decided it'll be a laptop. It'll replace my current desktop and will be my only computer.

Let's say that in the near future, a 12" MacBook Pro gets released... is a 12" laptop really THAT much 'portable' than a 17" laptop? I know I can just go to a store and compare sizes but that's just not the same as actually owning the laptop and bringing it places.

I want a laptop for 3 reasons:

1) Whenever I feel like just surfing the internets, I want to do it on campus and not in my apt in order to feel ummm.... social

2) I'm a CS major and laptops are required

3) I'll have something to do whenever I go to my parents' house (since I don't have anything over there except a toothbrush)

So back to my question, if I'm going to put the laptop in a sleeve in my backpack, is the size/weight of a 17" laptop ever going to bother me??? I'm a decent build (6'1", 200) and I'd never carry the laptop in my arms, always in my backpack.

EDIT:

Oh yeah, if I got a 12" i'd get a 20" cinema display and use that when I'm at home (and have the laptop's lid closed, I don't want to see two screens of different sizes simultaneously :hs: ) BUT if I got a 17", I wouldn't use an ext. monitor EVAR

EDIT 2:

okay it pretty much looks like i'm leaning towards a 17"

Last edited: Sep 6, 2006
  2. Kirk Hinrich

Kirk Hinrich New Member

im on a 12 inch pb right now, its nice becuase it is soo portable but still powerful. however the screen size can get annoying in PS. 17 inches is really big. 15 is about perfect i think. get a MBP.

3. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

go and use them. im on 15.4" and its very usable, I wouldnt go any smaller personally, but I rarely move my laptop out of my house.

the 17" is a bit of a monster and you might not feel like taking it places you may take a macbook. The main thing to people with working eyes is resolution. These days even the 13" macbook has 1280*800 (very usable) and is quite powerful.

4. mel my finger

mel my finger New Member

There will not be a 12" MBP. Apple said their notebook line was completed with the introduction of the 13" MacBooks.

Since you're a CS major, it'll help to have a portable notebook to bring to your classes and your professors' office hours. On the other hand, it helps to have extra screen real estate for viewing.

I say look at a 13" MacBook + 20" Cinema, which will run you around $1850 with student discount.

Or you could just get a 15" MBP for $1800-$2300.

5. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

Get a 13" Macbook and a Dell display. That will put you at like 1500-1600.