GUN help me decide: walther p99qa or glock 21 .45

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Dubtastic, Oct 29, 2003.

?

walther p99qa or glock 21 .45?

1. walther p99qa .40

8 vote(s)
    53.3%
  2. glock 21 .45

7 vote(s)
    46.7%
  1. Dubtastic

Dubtastic { OG }

[​IMG]

Walther .40
    MODEL - P99QA (WAP65022 - 9mm, WAP66022 - .40 S&W)
    ACTION - Double Action Only (Quick Action)
    CALIBER - 9mm, .40 S&W
    FRAME - Polymer
    CAPACITY - 9mm - 10+1 (LE 16+1), .40 S&W- 10+1 (LE12+1)
    BARREL LENGTH - 4"-9mm, 4.12"-.40 S&W
    OVERALL LENGTH - 7"-9mm, 7.12"-.40 S&W
    HEIGHT - 5.37"
    WEIGHT - 25.0 oz.
    WIDTH - 1.2"
    FRONT SIGHT - White Dot with 4 interchangeable Blades
    REAR SIGHT - 2 Dot Adjustable
    SAFETY - Striker, Trigger, Out of Battery, Decocker
    GRIP - Black or Green Polymer with 3 interchangeable Backstraps with Lanyard Loop
    MATERIAL - Polymer, Slide-Tenifer Finished Hardened Steel
    FINISH - Frame: Black or Green; Slide: Black
    OTHER - Includes 2 Magazines

[​IMG]

Glock 21
    Caliber - .45 Auto
    Action - Safe Action System
    Length (slide) - 7.59 in.
    Height - 5.47 in.
    Width - 1.27 in.
    Barrel length - 4.60 in.
    Barrel rifling - right, octogonal
    Length of twist - 15.75 in.
    Mag capacity - 10 / 13

so here are my thoughts... i currently have an h&k usp 9mm compact and am looking for another gun. at the last gun show i was at, i had a chance to take a look at several of the walthers and was extremely impressed with just how good that gun felt in my hand. it was so comfortable. on the other hand, my best friend can get a dealer discount on glocks, better than the pricing i saw at the gun show.

so what are your thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2003
  2. -RUNNR

-RUNNR Insanely truthful

Price doesn't mean shit if it's not comfortable in your hand. Buy the Walther

3. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

i favor the Glock, as i trust their manufacturing more than the Walther P-series, but if you're more comfortable with it, i'd go with that. Lots of folks swear by them.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2003
  4. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

ditto

5. Dubtastic

Dubtastic { OG }

does that mean that walther has known issues compared to the glock?

and price does play somewhat of a factor, but will not be the deciding one. :)

6. kellyclan

Unless you can find the German proof marks stamped on it (an Eagle over the letter N), it was actually assembled by Smith & Wesson. i have heard differing stories, but to according to my Walther importer, none of the .40's were actually assembled by Walther and only the 9mm's that bear the aforementioned proof marks were. i would trust a proof marked 9mm P99 and in fact, would like to get one eventually.

Smith & Wesson has a really spotty track record with building polymer frame guns. Plastic gun + S &W = :nono: in my opinion. New Jersey recently returned ~400 some polymer frame guns from the SW series to S&W and broke a rather costly contract because they found the weapons unreliable.

7. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

[​IMG]>[​IMG]
    IBplatinumthunder

8. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Make SURE it's German. I would not personally get a QA
    These are the markings you are looking for
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Platinum_Thunder

Some of the .40s are 100% German.

10. Platinum_Thunder

and for god's sake don't get a Glock

11. Dubtastic

Dubtastic { OG }

why not? most people say they are a great and versitile gun. i want as many differing opinions as possible.

12. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

Fixed :bigthumb:

Don't worry about Platinum_Thunder, he is just afraid to admit there is something out there that is superior to a Walther. Don't get me wrong, they are great guns, and I would love to own one, but I honestly don't believe they are better.

13. itchiban

itchiban Guest

They are. Their were some issues with Gen 1 guns. But unless you go back in time and buy one. You are fine. If I ever get a glock i'm getting a 33 :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2003
  14. Platinum_Thunder

:greddy:

15. Platinum_Thunder

IB it explodes

16. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Don't tell me you are in the "all glock .40's kB" crowd. If you don't shoot lead ammo, and make sure your rounds aren't set back, especially in the 180 grain loads, your .40 Glock will be fine.

17. Platinum_Thunder

:o

18. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

the 21 is .45, and the walther you're looking at is .40. i'm wondering why you're looking at different calibers for different pistols.

anyways, to help me, and maybe others, out, for what do you intend to use this pistol? home, range, carry, what? because you won't conceal the 21 unless you're Gigantor with an extra fat roll to tuck it into. i think the same will go for the P99.

if you're just going to be shooting for shooting, then get what's comfortable. if you're getting it for home defense, i'd go with the glock, for PROVEN reliability. i've never heard of the P99 being tested the same way that glocks have been tested, and if they have been, i CERTAINLY haven't heard any positive results. they are nice, and they are comfortable, but they are not glock-reliable. as far as caliber selection, i think i'll refrain from that this time, since you're not really limited much with a full-size frame. you'll get 15 in the 21. i'm not sure what you can fit in a .40 mag for the P99, or if there are even any un-neutered mags available in that caliber for it. someone help me out.

19. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

the glock 37 is a waste of plastic. honestly, as much as i love glock products, this is one pistol that was thought up by a retard, and approved for manufacture by a group of retards, and will be bought only by retards. the pistol holds only 10 rounds, maximum, of .45GAP, and it's not any more effective than .45ACP, and the damn thing is still just as wide up top on the slide. it's only narrower in the frame. the ammo will be expensive for a long time. if you are already happy with your current carry pistol, and just want a full-size, try the 22 and the 17, or a beretta.

20. Guz200sx

Guz200sx The man who does more than he is paid for will soo

Well, I'm a newbie, I haven't fired either gun but just by looks, I can tell you I like the walther p99qa better and you said it feels better in your hand so that in my opinion would make the decision a lot easier. And even if price is a factor don't let it be the MAIN factor over the comfort issue cause your comfort is what it comes down to in the end.

21. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

speaking of comfort, why do you think I posted the above pic? It is a glock with a hogue handall that will make the glock fit your hand like a glove, it even has palm swells in it that allows it to fit your hand even better. I bet if he held a glock with a handall on it, he would say it is more comfortable than the P99.

22. kellyclan

Last time i spoke with the source was quite awhile back. :dunno: Certainly is a .40 with proofs there. Maybe Walther got smart. :x:

23. Dubtastic

Dubtastic { OG }

excellent points!

i have an h&k 9mm right now, and would want another gun to carry concealed. while i am not gigantor, i am not a little guy, so its nice to know that both of these will not be good for carrying concealed.

about the varying calibers, again, i am not the owner of a gun shot, but i did want something bigger than the 9mm round. any suggestions are more than welcomed and thanks for your input.

24. Silent

Silent New Member

I carry a Walther P99QA .40 cal on duty, and I've been very happy with it in the short time that I have owned it. I've put about 800rds through it at the range and not 1 jam, etc. Mine also has the S&W markings on the slide and I have yet to see any problems with fitment issues or any other issues for that matter.

My #1 reason for getting it was how it felt in my hand. Its very comfortable to hold/shoot, and it comes with interchangeable backstraps.

You should check out the Walther Forums for more info, etc.

25. Rache

Rache Guest

:bowdown: I wish!:bowdown:

My two cents about glocks:

I love glocks; I even owned one. They are versatile, reliable, and accurate. If I were going to spend the rest of my life without a cleaning kit, the glock might be my weapon of choice.

What I don't like about glocks are the angle of the grip. It's more agressive than most guns. Most weapons follow the model of the colt 1911 (purely the angle, not complete design). This means that when you hold a glock, your wrist is locked forward and the gun is pointing straight. This became a problem for one of the firearms instructors on my department when he discovered that shooting the glock so much was lowering his proficiency with other weapons. Since we carry SIG P226's, this meant he was pointing the gun at the ground when trying to point shoot. Keep in mind this is an instinctive thing, not careful aimed shooting. It can be overcome with practice, and it depends on how you shoot. I know there are a lot of experts in this forum, but the guy I'm talking about has spent most of his life carrying and shooting...

Finally, I love my walther. It is an all-german .40, and it's quite possibly the most accurate gun I've ever owned. I carry off duty all the time. I'd carry on duty if I could. I also shoot with it in IPSC competetions. Buy a walther.