A&P help me decide how to charge for this...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by jared_IRL, Jan 16, 2010.

1. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Guy on my hockey team invented a product within his line of work that has the potential to revolutionize the industry. He just achieved patent pending status, and brought me in to shoot the product for his promotional materials...

I consider him somewhere between an acquaintance and a friend, and was just going to do the shoot for beer and such, but he told me I have to charge him as a professional, and it all has to be official, blah blah blah...

So what would you charge? Looking at a half day's work, max. Object will be shot both in an environmental shoot and white seamless, standard lighting and gear will be used...

(Although I might use the hasselblad H3d for this, just for shits and giggles...)

:dunno:

2. Finest

Finest OG #93

1% of his sales. :x:

3. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

150 for setup fee, then 500 for licensing of the photos for advertisement use excluding Magazine ads, and billboards.

4. 1992 240SX

1992 240SX New Member

Why the hell not. If you were willing to do it for beers this could either turn into a great investment...or, just enough to buy a 12-pack. You could be his main photographer if it takes off.

5. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

For something like that I charge $1,500 per day of shooting and 55/hour of processing. But, this sounds more like product-type shots so maybe a bit less?

6. nindia

nindia OT Supporter

50% of the company.

7. dmora

dmora Guest

1% might be much, :coolugh:

Listen to turbodude.

8. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

i already hold the patent for rocket powered ice skates jared

9. Ty Webb

Ty Webb You don't have to go to college. This isn't Russia

When you say "for licensing" - how do you mean exactly? Actual terms spelled out on a DVD of images or something similar when the final product is distributed to the customer?

I've hit a real hard wall in trying to figure my price points and how to go about standardizing things for the most part. Currently I have a base shoot fee and beyond that, I am trying to define how I should finish things off. Sell per images based on the type of use, or just sell per image for a standard price while still retaining my rights to the images. Image prices based on quantity of course.