Help me customize...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by bottomline, Nov 25, 2004.

1. bottomline

bottomline Guest

I want to start from the top, and if it's too expensive, I'll shave things here and there.

I still learning and crap... but I want to have a great system. Originally, I wanted to overclock the shit out of it, but I don't know now. I just don't want to fuck anything up, first off, second off, I really don't have any experience with it.

All I had in mind was a FX-55 (winchester might be better for overclocking, I've heard, but this is still a 2-4 months away.)

2 x 74GB 10000 RPM Seagates/WD

Need a mobo..

Help me pick out a video card. :hs:

A nice DVD-RW (not a big deal) w/ a DVD-ROM drive

Not sure about case/power supply...

I want to have GREAT sound with this system, but just like the video card, I don't know shit about sound. So help with the card + speakers. :hs:

Also, I was thinking a couple gigs of ram. I was looking through the corsairs... which ones are the best?

3x 2005fpw (my video card will need to support this, so I am left even MORE clueless. I would like PIP w/ a TV tuner, if possible. I WANT to be ABLE to run a game, browse, and trade all at the same time. MAybe 2 gigs isn't enough? :x:

I'd appreciate your tips on overclocking as well. I don't know how much I could get it running to, and how much it will help.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

74GB 10k rpm is WD -- not seagate.

for mobo, I'd do the MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (nForce3) or look for a good nForce4 board.

Video card depends on what you wanna do, and what mobo you choose. I'd recommend a 6600GT for the video card.

DVD-RW == NEC 3500A or Pioneer 108. I like the NEC, personally.

Case is up to you. IF you're cheap, then get an antec case w/psu, but if you can spring the cash, I would NOT get antec... There's soooo much better out there. Lian Li 6070 and Coolermaster WaveMaster are two examples to consider. For PSU, check out enermax, fortron, or sparkle. $80 gets you an awsome sparkle/fortron.

Computer speakers are mostly crap. I'd use a good home theater setup... Once I did that, I'll never go back! For card, it depends. MAudio would be awsome. I'm not really a fan of Creative... I have mixed feelings about my Audigy 2 ZS Platinum.

Corsiar is awsome memory. SOOOOO much better than Kingston, imho! XMS is what I'd run (well, it is what I run, but it's also what I'd recommend if you want to OC) OCZ overclocker's-special is also awsome ram.

As for monitors, no good card will run 3... Most you'll get is 2. I would run a 6600GT dual-dvi as my video card, and then run a Radeon 7000 PCI card for the 3rd display. Since the 3rd display won't be for gamming, and only for 2D work, the Radeon 7000 will be plenty.

As for overclocking, there's a lot of potential with the 939 platform.

3. bottomline

bottomline Guest

Awesome, thank you.

I'll do more research and post up specifics.

4. IAMwhitey

IAMwhitey New Member

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I usually tell customers to stay away from abit. They're great boards, and everything I build a system for myself, I consider them in the running -- however, they're also some of the most picky boards on the planet. You have to be very careful about how you set them up in BIOS. For most users, I recommend Intel/MSI/Asus for their much more forgiving operation. But if you know what you're doing, abit has some nice stuff.

6. IAMwhitey

IAMwhitey New Member

i definitely agree on them not being so "user friendly"

it took me a bout 10 minutes to get it set up the way i wanted and booting properly.

7. bottomline

bottomline Guest

OK guys, thanks.

8. frostedfrank

frostedfrank OT Supporter

FX-55 that's overpriced don'T get fx. the new 939 4000+ or even 3800+ will overclock beyond it speed..
    the 3000+ 939 can be overclocked to be faster than a FX-53 with stock cooling