Help me choose the correct power supply for my computer

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by snailtrail83, Sep 19, 2004.

1. snailtrail83

snailtrail83 Member

My computer is going to have the AMD64 3200+ and a 6800GT, so it's going to use up a fair bit of power. How much do I need? Here are the choices I have:

- buy case supplied with a 400w power supply (I like this as it has the best features and is quite cheap).

Deluxe X-Blade Case
    (http://www.pccasegear.com.au/prod1393.htm)

- buy a case with 430w power supply (Case doesn't really appeal to me, as it doesn't have many features)

Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG http://www.pccasegear.com.au/prod480.htm)

- buy a case case without PSU (Xaser III VM2000A Lanfire or GMC X-21 Trinity) and give it a 500w generic power supply.

- buy a cheap case and give it a good power supply.

2. Muchacho_Gasolino

Muchacho_Gasolino New Member

id say the 400 watt that comes with the case unless you are going to have 3 optical drives and 4 HDDs or something

3. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

That video card will suck power like mad, I'd suggest a good 450 from someone like antec or enermax. Don't cheap out on it, you will pay in the end.

4. Phreck

Phreck Apple Crew Horra!

I just put together a very similar system yesterday. A64 3500+, MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum, BFG Tech GeForce 6800 GT OC, 1 S-ATA HD, 1 ATA HD, DVD drive, CD-RW drive. I got some Raidmax case that came with a 420W Raidmax powersupply. It works awesome with this stuff. I tried to hook up another hard drive though, and it would struggle and never boot up fully. So I think the powersupply is right on edge. When I feel the need to add another hard drive I'll have to upgrade the powersupply at the same time.

5. damaja

damaja New Member

i got an antec case with a 400W supply. i intend to have 2 optical drives and 3 HDD's. currently only have 1 optical and 1 hdd. would i need to upgrade?