Help me choose my first bike!!!

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Mr 20Valve, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Mr 20Valve

Mr 20Valve OT Supporter

I'm buying my first bike... Australian law says that while on your learners permit, you cant have a bike over 250cc and over a certain p/w ratio.

My choices are limited to these:

[​IMG]
    FZR250

[​IMG]
    GPX250

[​IMG]
    ZZR250

[​IMG]
    GSX250F

[​IMG]
    ZXR250

honestly, the amount i know about the difference in these bikes (or bikes in general even) can be written on the head of a pin. :hs:

I just want it to be nice to look at, reliable, handle well & comfortable. power doesnt matter all that much while im learning. i also should be able to ride the thing properly without getting a sore back (i'm 6'5") :x:

any help/suggestions would be cool. :ccold:

2. Mr 20Valve

Mr 20Valve OT Supporter

oh, the colour scemes have nothing to do with it, these pictures are just an example. :bigthumb:

3. brembo

brembo New Member

As a matter of fact, they changed the laws in NSW back in September 02, now you can have a bike upto 660cc. BUT they still have to go under 150kW per tonne.

I'm looking for a GS500E myself (I'm 6'4" tall and most 250's are WAY too small). Passed the pre L's course a few weeks ago, but my lazy ass still has to do the knowledge test.

Here is a link to the available bikes -> http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/tests/motorcycleridertrainingscheme/motorcyclesnoviceriders.html

Also, there's quite a few bikes on the list that aren't available in the USoA.

4. brembo

brembo New Member

That said, I've got mates with ZZR's, Across's, VTR's. Each one like each bike for different reasons, best thing to do is hop along to a dealer, sit on the different bikes, see what's comfortable, and if you have enough confidence, ask if you can take a few for a test ride (just don't crash 'em ;)) and see what ya like, just keep in mond you'll have the bike for at least 15 months.

Also make sure you put money aside for QUALITY gear. Gloves, jacket, decent jeans, boots. Last thing you want is getting gravel rash scraped out of your skin with a wire brush.

5. Mr 20Valve

Mr 20Valve OT Supporter

yeah, i know about the 660cc rule, but im not impressed with most of the bikes listed, so im sticking to the 250's... plus they're cheap enough. :bigthumb: ive had a good look through that RTA link myself.

an Aprillia RS125 would be nice, but slightly out of my price range. :sadwavey:

6. Mr 20Valve

Mr 20Valve OT Supporter

i actually planned on going down & sitting on a few bikes this weekend (Sydney City Motorcycles is just a couple of blocks away from my house) dont think ill take one for a ride just yet... :hs:

7. brembo

brembo New Member

I went over to SSM at Kograh, decent range of bikes in there, better than SSM @ Liverpool. Sat on a ZZR, GPX, VTR, Bandit, Across, CBR250RR (tiny freakin bike that one :greddy: ) and the bigger GS500E :)x: ) and ER-5's. They should give you a feeling of what is comfortable to sit on in the riding position, and also what you can flat foot.

If your going to the Kograh one, go upstairs and check out helmet sizes, and other gear sizes, then ya know what fits, what ya like etc. and go out to other shops, and look online for the cheapest price :bigthumb:

This is the bike I'm after.
    [​IMG]

8. mnewell

mnewell Lucy.

Have you taken a look at a VFR 400?

9. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

GS500s are nice bikes. Some better tires (tyres? :ugh: ) and a set of clipons and it should be a blast in the twisties.

10. Mr 20Valve

Mr 20Valve OT Supporter

im limiting myself to a 250 because im a fucking idiot & i will most likely be dead within a week if i get anything bigger... plus im still learning. im nowhere near confident enough in my ability on any bike yet, let alone a 500/600... :hs:

didnt get a chance to go down there to sit on any bikes this weekend unfortunately... :( (i live at Hurstville, the Kogarah showroom is only a couple of blocks away from me) the more i look at the ZZR, the more i like it. :bigthumb:

11. brembo

brembo New Member

After doing the L's course, I've still got alot of work to go before feeling comfortable on a bike, and I'm lacking severly in confidence (empty backstreets scare me atm). Plan to overcome this is to ride around alot on the back streets while they are quiet, and practise practise practise to build up my confidence, and skills.

The thing about the GS500E and other larger bikes, is that they have fuckall power, the ZZR has 33HP (24.1kW) and weighs 148kg, whereas the GS500E has 34HP (24.8kW) and weighs 173kg. So it has a lower power/weight ratio, and in essence it's slower.

So don't discount the bigger bikes off the bat.

Another thing to probably avoid is grey imports, some insurance companies won't even consider insuring them. Australian delivered official imports are generally better, and usually are cheaper too. You can pick up a mid 90's ZZR for around $3k. A mates selling his 99 ZZR for bout $4k in a few weeks.

PS: check out this website, lot of people from Sydney and other cities. Decent userbase with alot of helpful people, and regularly organised rides (down the coast, up the coast, out west...) for when your upto it.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2004
  12. Mr 20Valve

Mr 20Valve OT Supporter

nice one. :bigthumb:

thanks mate.

13. Mr 20Valve

Mr 20Valve OT Supporter

alright, i've settled on a GPX250R.

i found a nice 1992 model, black, for $2500, seems to be in good condition. going to check it out thoroughly this weekend! :bigthumb:

14. BlackCord96

BlackCord96 The Humble Magnificent.

aprilia rs50 :o

15. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

:nono: :down: Not if you want to ride it on the highway. Those things can't get out of their own way.

16. anomaly

anomaly If you weren't around for the original HA.net spli

The best thing you can do, given your size, is go sit on the 250's that are your options at your dealership. And sir, GOOD JOB FOR KNOWING YOUR LIMITS! I truly respect that.

17. Mr 20Valve

Mr 20Valve OT Supporter

18. Mr 20Valve

Mr 20Valve OT Supporter

well, i went on saturday & must've sat on about 30 bikes... waddled around on 5 of them.

ive totally backflipped on my decision to buy the GPX250... i think ill buy an FZR250. :hs:

so much more comfortable (a bit larger too, it seemed :dunno: ) and gawd damn they're a hot looking bike! :naughty:

this one actually:

[​IMG]

:boink:

now, the GPX is a v-twin, and the FZR a 4 cylinder... what is that gonna mean to me when riding? more torque? lasts longer/more reliable? im such a n00b... :wtc: