Help me choose a new video card *Budget, AGP*

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by shohan, Jun 3, 2006.

1. shohan

shohan New Member

Well, I'm looking to upgrade my aging system. Financially I don't have the cash to upgrade as I'd like to PCI-e and such so I'm going to stick with what I have. I was looking for some suggestions on a new card. I have a few that I was looking at, but after doing some research I find that my head hurts way too much. Any ways, here are my current specs:

- AOpen AX4SPE MaxII
    - Intel P4 2.4GHz
    - Antec 450w PSU
    - 2x 512MB Corsair DDR333
    - Leadtek nVidia Geforce 4 Ti4600 128MB AGP
    - Soundblaster Audigy Premium
    - 2x Wester Digital (WD) 120GB 7200RPM IDE HDD
    - Seagate 7200.8 300GB 7200RPM SATA HDD

Like I said I'm looking to stick with AGP. My plans are to pick up some more RAM, OCZ 2x 1GB DDR400 2-3-2-5, and I've been looking at a few cards. I'm not brand specific as long as it performs, but I've been very satisfied with my GF4. Price range is flexible, but I'd prefer to stay under $200. Primarily, I play FFXI, but am looking to start playing BF2 as well as other more recent games so I need something that will be able to handle those at atleast mid-level graphics.

Right well here's what I was currently looking at, but suggestions are very welcome.

Code:
    Manufacturer  Leadtek A6600 GT  XFX GF 6800XT  XFX GF 7800GS
    Model Number  A6600 GT TDH      PV-T42K-UDE3   PV-T70k-UAD7
    Price         $139.99           $146.99        $299.99

Chipset       6600 GT           6800 XT        7800 GS
    Bus Type      AGP               AGP            AGP
    Clock Rate    500 MHz           350 MHz        440 MHz
    Memory        128 MB            256 MB         256 MB
    Momory Type   GDDR3             DDR3           DDR3
    Memory Clock  900MHz            1.0 GHz        1.3 GHz
    Memory Bus    128 bit           256 bit        256 bit
    Pixel Pipe    8                 8              16

Thanks for the help. I know this question probably gets asked way too much, but no one likes wasting money.

2. o2

o2 Witty Title Here OT Supporter

3. o2

o2 Witty Title Here OT Supporter

But if you can afford 7800GS, get that.

4. shohan

shohan New Member

Add the ATI X800GTO it's got some similiar specs and looks pretty good, but I'm not ready to decide just yet. Anyone else have any opinions on the cards mentioned?

5. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

6. shohan

shohan New Member

Have you done any research on this card? I only ask because looking at the specs it doesn't look to promising. Listen I'm no expert, that's why I asked for suggestions myself, but I reconsider that card. For the same price or a bit more your could get yourself something better because I'm pretty sure your going to be disappointed with that and go back to your 9700Pro AIW.

Check out this link to see what I'm talking about. It's a comparison of the ATI X1300 AGP chipset with the AIW 9700 Pro. Just looking at the the specs side by side you can see that the X1300 will be a step down for you.

7. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

yeah... but i think the 9700 is shot. it's never quite adapted to new drivers very well, and it's just off somehow. I'll check out the link you sent.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

ATi is pretty shitty. Avoid them whenever possible.

Also avoid Leadtek. XFX is very good.

9. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

10. shohan

shohan New Member

Sorry to say it, but thats a pretty lame statement. Especially when you provide no proof. It's comparable to saying 'stay away from AMD'. There are numerous manufacturers as well as individuals who run ATI despite your reported 'shittyness'.

As to avoiding Leadtek, what's your basis no that statement? My Leadtek A250 Ultra Geforce 4 TI 4600 128MB has lasted me 4 years without a hitch. I've been very satisfied with it. Do you have any experience with ATI or Leadtek to back up your statements? Or are you just spouting off what you read from reviews? If so then your reading the wrong stuff and people are getting paid to talk trash about a competitor.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

My experience with ATi is as an authorized distributor for 7 years. I carry a very minimal stock of their products, only to satisfy my misinformed customers who won't go with nVidia. Regardless of my feelings, I still have to cater to the customer. However, 90% of my business is with nVidia.

Back in 2003 and prior, I loved ATi. However, right around the Radeon 8500 (their last good product, imo) they fell off dramatically. nVidia's GeForce4 was a good product, imo. Their 5-series fell off again, but ATi was unable to take over, anyway. The 6-series (and now 7-series) have secured the win for nVidia in the foreseeable future. Technologically, nVidia is superior. They are more future-proof in every aspect of the game. And on top, they have MUCH better drivers.

As for LeadTek, I sold them for about 18 months. Never again. Their cards last barely longer than 1 year, and do not fit within my 3-year warranty business model. The vast majority of cards would have to be RMA'd after a year. Performance-wise they are not impressive, and they do not come in at any signifigant price cut. I have since switched to XFX as my prefered dealer. Reliability is MUCH improved. Performance is excellent, as well. I would also recommend MSI, Asus, and BFGTech for the gamers. eVGA has some decent "budget" or "specialty" cards, and I like the eVGA NVTV series of cards.

My experience comes with moving pallets of video cards, and hands-on experience with end-users. I did not explain this previously in this thread, however I have explained it numerous times in the past. Search the forum for "LeadTek" and you will see myself, along with several others, explaining why it's a bad idea to buy their products.

So believe what you want... Your *one* video card worth of experience. Or my *thousands* of video cards worth of experience. Not every card had to be RMA'd. But a lot of them did. WAAAY more than should have been. And far too many for me to be comfortable with their products.

12. shohan

shohan New Member

Thanks for explaining yourself. I admit that I am the only person I know who has ever owned a Leadtek card, but of all the reading I've done I've never heard anyone have any problems. This is not to say that the problems are none existent. I have for the most part always been a fan of nVidia, but have looked at the ATI cards a couple of times. This was when the 9800 Pro was able to be flashed to the XT BIOS and now recently when looking for a replacement.

With your experience what cards can you recommend me that are still in my price range of a prefered $150, but no more then $200. Comparing the X800GTO to a 6800XT (PCI-E version because an AGP was not available.) the specs of the GTO are much higher in all cases. Now if available I would most likely buy a 6800 GS AGP card, but they seem to be very hard to find let alone trying to find one below 200. The specs of the GS are also higher then the XT but the GS is still lower then the GTO. This is even the case when unlocking another quad of pipelines in both cards.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2006
  13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

are you keeping the same mobo?

14. shohan

shohan New Member

Yes, I'll be sticking with this system until I move to a socket 939 processor, and PCI-E.

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

seems like a step backwards to go 939 and PCI-e... especially with conroe on the horizon.

Sounds like you've already picked the card you want for AGP. But why not hold-out for a few months, and save the money for your new system?

16. shohan

shohan New Member

How do you mean a step backwards with choosing 939 and PCI-E? As far as waiting for the latest and greatest I'm afraid to say that my days of building a hot rod rig are gone. Marriage will do that I suppose. Right now I'm more on a budget and simply can't justify spending a whole lot of money on a PC which I do very minimal on.

Mostly I use my PC for FFXI which graphically utilizes the CPU more then the GPU thanks to the wonderful cross-platform engineering of Square-Enix. I do other things such as FTP, BT, etc, but nothing that is graphically intensive. I've considered giving BF2 a shot as well as going back to playing CS with CS:S. Becuase I'm not playing games like FEAR and other games I can't justify spending the money.

Another thing is that with these upgrades my old parts go to upgrade my wifes PC. To her would go my GF4 and 1GB of Corsair DDR333 to replace her GF4 MX 440 and to add to her 256MB of RAM she already has. :mamoru:

17. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

conroe will be cost-competitive with amd 939. I honstely recommend you consider it. At the same price point, it KILLS AMD in the performance dept.

18. shohan

shohan New Member

Thanks for the info. That large of an upgrade is still a bit aways for me so I'll be doing research at that time. Just quickly google'ing conroe pointed to an article where a conroe 2.66 proc was oc'd to 4.6GHz. Despite the hardcore cooling that was used this is still an uprecedented performance boost, to my knowledge, with any other chip. I'm excited to see what comes out here in the future.

19. Mr. Brownstone

Mr. Brownstone King of All Kings

20. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

What's your opinion on Sapphire Technologies?

21. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

I just bought an XFX 9700GT.

Edit: 7900GT.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2006
  22. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

It's ATi, first of all. So that's not doing well for itself. But leaving out all of the reasons NOT to buy ATi, it's still bottom-of-the-barrel. They position themselves as a low-cost, low-performance company. You usually only see X300 and other entry-level office-machine cards from them. When they do have a higher-model it is met with lackluster reviews and "meh" performance when compared to other ATi cards.

But to compound the problem, it's an ATi gig. I'd MUCH MUCH MUCH rather run an nVidia card. At least until ATi releases a decent grapicset. They had nVidia bested for a while, but nVidia caught them with their pants down when they released the 6-series.

23. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

:werd:

24. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

FPS-specific gaming really is a whole different world when it comes to graphics, I guess. I'm happy as a clam with my overclocked Sapphire 9600XT.

25. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

:hsugh:

My 9800 pro was overclocked and it performed weak. Watercooled at that.

I was really happy with my 9700 pro, but I think that's when ATI made their mark. I'm all about Nvidia now.