Help me choose a netbook.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Slick, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Slick

Slick New Member

I've been looking at the Asus 1000HE, HP 1000xp, Acer Aspire One 8.9", and the MSI Wind. I find it really hard to narrow down the choices with netbooks :hs:

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

3. Slick

Slick New Member

Is putting the extra gb of ram in it worth it? How much noticeable difference does it give you?

4. deusexaethera

I dunno, but Asus is consistently rated highest. The reviews say the extra GB helps a lot, and based on doing the same in a number of desktops I believe it, especially if you get one with a regular hard drive instead of an SSD, because reading swap data off a slow hard drive kills performance like nothing else.

I'm going to get the 1002 with the lithium polymer battery and the LED-backlit screen, once I get done buying designer flashlights. (yes, it's sad, I don't care.) Then I'll add more RAM and switch it to an SSD when I get around to it, or when there's a good sale.

5. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

I think the dell mini 9 is the best 9"

bigger than 9".. HP makes a pretty nice 10", I think.. or just get an asus

6. nucklearknight

nucklearknight New Member

I heard the mini 9 is pretty awesome and I had a Asus myself and found it to be quite nice. The extra gig of ram helps a LOT.

7. nucklearknight

nucklearknight New Member

OH and never get anything with less than a six cell battery. The short battery life will defeat the purpose of an ultra portable computer.

8. deusexaethera

Lithium polymer batteries don't obey that rule. Their cells are wide and flat, so they can store much more charge than round cells can.

9. asus is good and extra ram helps...

dells are good too though.. i like dell really for their customer service...

it also depends on what ur using it for
    personally id go with the dell

10. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

You being serious?? If so I guess we've had drastically different experiences.

My favorite line from Dell was when my girlfriend ordered an xbox a few months ago. Her order was being delayed 2+ months and when she called they told her that "Microsoft is out of XBox Pros" and that noone had any in stock...

11. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Must be :dunno:

I've never had any issues when having to call Dell, but I mostly deal with the small business stuff for work.

12. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

I have the 1000 and I disabled swap (write cycles blah) but I haven't experienced any out of memory errors, so will adding another GB help in this case?

When I'm virtualising Windows in ubuntu it often hangs for about a second, but I thought that could be put down to the cpu rather than limited memory.

13. ive only dealt with them in a business setting.. everytime a server has a bad piece of equipment, the replace it no questions asked. when i order something, it gets here when they say it will. their drivers are easy to find via service tags, and lastly and MOST important, they have ALWAYS honered their warranty for me, no questions asked.

granted,i have heard ppl say they have had issues with them, but in my experience they rock. oh and i have realized that they ship home pc's with lots of extra bogus crap u dont need like google desktop and some pos av, but other than that, good computers.

14. White Stormy

Don't get the Dell. My brother has been having a terrible experience with his Mini 9 and Dell's awful Indian customer service.

His computer won't connect to any WPA networks and Dell says that Ubuntu isn't capable. :ugh: It is. We have a 10-year-old laptop running Ubuntu connected to the same WPA network. They told him the solution is to change his home network to WEP.

As if that's a fucking solution. The whole point of using WPA is that it's more secure than WEP, and what's he supposed to do when he goes to a friend's house? Or to work? Or school? Ask them to change from WPA to WEP because Dell provided him with a faulty computer? He paid for a working computer, and he paid for a warranty to keep it working. Telling him that the "fix" is to ignore the problems isn't a fucking solution.

I'm so god damned tired of shitty quality and shitty customer service.

15. White Stormy

After 2 hours of online chat with 2 different customer service people and 3 hours on the phone with 5 different customer service reps, they finally found one person who was able to tell him how to fix it.

I still wouldn't recommend them for anything. The online retards kept us waiting for almost 2 hours then told us to call in because they don't do Ubuntu support online. The first 3 phone reps all told him to change his router from WPA to WEP. :uh:

16. bovine

bovine New Member

I have a Dell Mini 9 w/ WinXP on it and have had zero issues with it. I downloaded and installed the Dell Ubuntu ISO and it was significantly slower than with XP loaded. I don't doubt that WS's brother was having issues with that piece of shit OS. Ubuntu is fine if you have extra cycles to burn, but on a low power/consumption netbook you should go with XP.

If you get a Dell, buy it from the outlet store. That way you're getting a specific computer that is already built and ready to be shipped. If you build your computer, even if it's a standard configuration, you will very likely experience delays in shipping. On a mini specific web site people have been quoting delays of months, whereas I purchased my Dell from the outlet store and got it in 2 days.