help me choose a motherboard

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jdog12, Jun 5, 2005.

1. jdog12

jdog12 New Member

im getting a athlon 64 3000(im going to OC it) w/ the venice core 939 pin within the next couple of days and i need help choosing a motherboard. any recommendations/things to look out for? im looking for an entry level one, looking for decent overclockability(i have heard some mobos are more friendly to those looking to overclock than others)i will probably be buying from newegg since im partial to them, but willing to look elsewhere. any good recomendations?

i have been looking forward to this for a while... got my video card and memory back in the fall and put it in this one to use for now.... just ordered my LG 17" lcd monitor and my case... bought a hard drive the other day.. cant wait.... im trying to see if the x2 comes out within the next couple of days to see if the price of the 3000 drops anymore than it already is... should i expect it to drop w/ the x2's coming out?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

what req's do you have?

3. jdog12

jdog12 New Member

needs an agp slot... im not about to go buy a new video card.
    halfway decent sound(ill probably be using a tv tuner and doing some recordings so this would help)

i dont have to many requirements.. ill start w/ 512 meg ram and double it within a couple weeks.(dont know how this will effect dual channel memory)

AGP is the biggie though, i would consider a possible x2(or whatever is out at the time) upgrade in the future but at that point i migth upgrade the mobo as well

Last edited: Jun 5, 2005
  4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

well, if AGP is required, go get an MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum.

As for memory, get 2x512MB from the start, if you can... Corsair, in the least. XMS, preferably. If you can't swing that, then do 2x256. KEEP THEM PAIRED. and stick with the SAME BRAND, SAME SERIES!