Help Me Choose a Good Ultralight Laptop

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by EffBeeEye, Jul 6, 2005.

1. EffBeeEye

EffBeeEye New Member

Well I will be heading off to collge in just over a month or so, and I'm tired of my heavy HP pavilion ze5200, so I'm in the mood for an ultralight laptop. I need something that will be very light, fairly powerful (just enough for web browsing, mp3s, DVDs and such, no intense gaming) and have it not be a piece of crap. So far the Toshiba Portege R100 looks real nice at 2.4 lbs and I noticed Dell has a few nice ones too. Any help, or previous experience with ultra portable laptops would be great.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

well you mentioned that you didn't wnat a peice of crap. Gonna have to forget the toshiba and dells, then.

IBM and Asus are the two main companies that fit the bill. Asus is my preference.

3. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I'm not a fan of the Dell notebooks either, although I have nothing against Toshiba. I too would recommend IBM and Asus, although I'd find myself more likely to go with the IBM probably.

4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Did Dells lose a lot of quality in the last couple of years or what? My brother used to rave about them when he had one a few years ago and now everyone seems to rag on them.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

when you do the quantity that dell does, something has to suffer... Quality is what dell lost.

6. 5Gen_Prelude

But were they good at one time?

7. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I've never been a big Dell fan :dunno: Their current notebooks just seem really boring. Nothing really thin and light. They don't even have a tablet out.

8. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I needed a light notebook last winter but I wasn't willing to give up an onboard optical drive or battery life. I wound up with a Sony T series. Its 3 lbs with the standard battery which is supposed to last 5 hours. I've never run it down but I think I'd get close to that number. It has a DVD-+RW onboard along with wifi and bluetooth, 12" 1280x768 wide screen, USB2.0 x 2, 1 cardbus slot, 40GB disk, & 512MB RAM. The screen and keyboard are too small to use comfortably for too long but I didn't buy it to sit at 8 hours per day. I needed very small and light but full featured machine and I got it.

Of course being a Sony, it was loaded with a ton of crap. Luckily, they now have drivers on the web site. So I spend the first night reformatting, loading a standard OEM XPProSP2 on it, loading the drivers, then loading a *few* things off the Sony software DVD (which I had to burn myself and recover the 5GB of disk space) to run things like the wireless on/off switch and the volume buttons.

Its been a good machine and I have no regrets. Being able to carry a fully funtional PC with me all the time (almost like a big PDA) when I'm working has been great.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

back in the days of the 486 until when the Pentium came out (right when "MMX" was the premium technology) they were decent. They turned to shit when the Pentium II came out.

I had a Dell Latitude with a 166MHz Pentium MMX with 80MB RAM that was the shit back then... So much has changed :o

10. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

i bought an Asus S5N last year. i lub it

11. MacAlert

MacAlert Maxima driver OT Supporter

Where can you buy Asus laptops online?

12. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

froogle it

13. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

Work bought me a Compaq nw8240 and it's really nice. Highly recommended.

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

:ugh2:

15. 5Gen_Prelude

Gotta agree on this one. Now I'm sure that the odds are you won't have a problem with it, but I would never recommend a Compaq to anyone.

16. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

stay away from compaq, piece of shit laptops..... i have one!

17. CompiledMonkey

I would have said the same thing before I got it and have used it for 10 hours a day, 6 days a week. It's a great laptop, well built, plenty of power, awesome display, etc. I love it.

18. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you have one of the few, then. That's the problem with shitty companies like Compaq/Toshiba/Dell... They make a million laptops, and maybe THREE of those million are decent... Then those three people tell others to buy the left-over shitty ones, and then I have to make everyone feel bad and tell them they should have just bought Asus to begin with, where they make a million notebooks that are good, and then 3 that arn't. :roofles:

19. CompiledMonkey

I think your views are just a little extreme. I've owned or supported a number of Toshiba laptops and Dell desktops/laptops/servers. Overall they both had good products, the Toshiba tablets I used for about a year were really nice. Dell had nice laptops and desktops, but we did have issues with the servers quite often. Fans would go out way too often. So I must be 1 in a billion, or you just have bad luck. :dunno:

20. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

It's not my luck. I won't buy dell, so I don't have the problem. All my servers are at least custom built systems with Intel Server Mobos (although i do have some serverworks stuff, too) or I've been doing a lot of Intel Server Chassis stuff, lately, because they're just so kick-ass.

It's my clients' bad luck. I haven't had one client that has used dell and still likes them. It's mostly just kids that see Dells at their school and "want" to know about computers, but really don't know shit... So they buy dell. or dumb housewives that really just don't know any better, because a computer-shop has been ruined by the image of Best Buy, and shitty places like that where they don't sell decent parts, and their sales people and (gah) techs (gasp) don't know shit, either... A real computer parts shop is like the auto mechanic to them -- they have no fucking clue what's going on there, and when I tell them the truth (like don't use Norton) they get all defensive because all their friend's use norton and best buy uses norton, and circuit city sells norton, etc, etc, etc. And they don't realize that *I* sell Norton too, but I hardly sell any copies because I tell everyone to use AVG, which is free... Why the fuck would I tell someone to NOT spend money at my shop and use something that is BETTER and happens to be FREE? Not to mention that all their "friends" that have norton have machines that are just as fucked up, if not more, than theirs. Because I genuinely care about (most of) my customers and don't seem them as an opportunity to squeeze out a couple extra bucks.

But that's not how Dell or Toshiba works. So if you like it up the ass, many times without lube, then, by all means. But if you ever feel like seeing the other side, give the REAL hardware a try. It's refreshing.