A&P help me choose a camera combo..

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by alex paik, Feb 27, 2006.

1. alex paik

alex paik New Member

so, here is my situation..

i am new to slr cameras and wanted to jump at the chance to get a digital slr camera. the type of guy i am, id rather get something of higher quality for the fact that i would not want to upgrade later.. i want to just get used to a camera and learn how to use it without wanting to upgrade later..

the camera im interested in is the canon 5d.. the question i have is what lens should i get to start off with? i will be shooting anything and everything i see.. from people to landscape.. can someone shine some light in my direction?

is the 5d a good camera?

what lens is a good lens?

2. 00soul

00soul halfsharkalligatorhalfman

yes its a good camera, but if you dont want to upgrade later might as well get a 1 series canon

lens should have a L in it (top quality, no need to upgrade later)

if i were you, id go for the leica r9 with DMR...its pricey, but if times change you'll just have to update the DMR modual and not the whole camera. plus, if computers die, the r9 still can shoot film

3. 00soul

00soul halfsharkalligatorhalfman

if you want to shoot medium format, look into hasselblad. they offer digital backs that go on the back of their film cameras

4. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

What's your budget? How much can you spend NOW and how much can you spend on photography in the next few months and years?

Do you know that you might also need flash, CF cards, tripods, heads, camera bags, and filters.

Do you know why the 5D cost so much more than the 20D/30D? Do you know what full frame means? Do you know how full frame affects (both positively and negatively) the DoF, perspective, corner sharpness, lightfall off on your pictures?

You might want to do a bit more research before you buy the 5D. Don't get me wrong, the 5D is an awesome camera but if you don't have $20000 to dump, maybe you can consider other alternatives.

5. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

If you have money for L lenses. I would get those.

17-40L
    24-70L or 24-102L
    70-200L IS

If you want the best portrait/modeling lens there is, get the 85mm f1.2L.

You might want to actually go and play around with those cameras. Go try out the 5D, look through the viewfinder. Then pickup the Nikon D70s/D50 or Canon 350D/20D. The 5D makes them feel loks toys and notice how big the 5D viewfinder is!!!

I personally prefer the ergonomics of Nikon. I do a lot of flash photography and Nikon probably got the best TTL flash in the business. The D200 is not a bad alternative for half the price of the 5D. Though I am a bit reluctant in recommanding Nikon to you. Nikon is behind in sensor technologies and they have problem updating and bringing out new models. I am gonna stick with the D200 for another year or two but might actually switch to Canon if they don't get their cats together.

6. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

At last... You might want to know about the dusting problem. Basically dust will get into your camera and you switch lenses. Then they will stick to the sensor and sometimes show up in your pictures (depending on the DoF).

The 5D probalby suffers from this more so than the others because it has a full frame (bigger than most) sensor.

If you want a DSLR but also want a lens that will do landscape, portraits, candids, and pretty much everything. Then you might want to look into the Nikon D200 and the 18-200 VR. Besides macro photography, the 18-200 VR could cover probably cover most of your needs.

The resell value of the D200 and 18-200 VR should be pretty good in the near future (a year or so). Because Nikon probably won't have a replacement for the D200 for another 2-3 years. The 18-200 VR is a hot lens. Even when I have lenses that cost thousands, I still want one as my "travel", family vocation lens.

So, D200 + 18-200 VR + the SB-600/SB800 flash should be a good starter's kit. You can get all those for less than what you would pay for the 5D body alone. Save the extra money, and if you think Nikon sucks, sell them and switch to Canon. I have a bunch of Nikon gears but I am willing to switch anytime. It's just money after all...

If you want to go for the 30D, which supposely is going to be a great camera. Then the lens selection gets complicated. If you buy EF-S lens, then you can't use it on the 5D or other FF (full frame) body such as the 1Ds and 1Ds mk2.

7. Tomash

Tomash Active Member

People seem to love the 24-105mm f/4L IS on the 5D.

8. alex paik

alex paik New Member

well, i have cf card and a tripod.. i dont know how getting a 5d would come out to be $20k.. please elaborate for me..

9. alex paik

alex paik New Member

thanks! ill check it out..

10. alex paik

alex paik New Member

11. sony

sony Active Member

yo yo yo what's your budget

12. alex paik

alex paik New Member

not looking to spend much over $4000 for the camera..

13. sony

sony Active Member

what about the lens yo :cool:

14. alex paik

alex paik New Member

with the lens..

body is ~$3000
    lens is ~$1000

15. sony

sony Active Member

oh :(

16. sony

sony Active Member

What CF card/tripod do you have :naughty:

17. alex paik

alex paik New Member

sandisk ultra II 1.0gb and some canon plastic looking tripod..

18. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

You might want to reconsider you budget then.

Spend $1000 on the body and $3000 on lens is probably a better idea.

Assuming that you can handle the weight... For 4 grand, this is what I will buy from Nikon, and this is pretty much my own setup. If you do buy the D200, watch out for the banding problem though.

D200 + 18-70 DX $2000
    70-200 VR $1640
    SB-800 $305

Again, with the Canon it is a bit more complciated. 30D will be a good camera that will serve you well for years. You might want to consider

30D + 17-55 IS est. $2350
    70-200 IS $1700
    (no flash)

The D200 is a more expensive body than the 30D but the 17-55 IS is a more expensive lens compared to the 18-70 DX. There is the Nikon 17-55 as well if you are willing to spend a bit more than 4K.

The 17-55 IS is a brand new lens, nobody knows how good/bad it is, but it's supposely very good. If you upgrade to a 5D or other FF body later, then you can't use the 17-55 IS on it though.

Canon has IMHO one of the best wide angle lenses for their APS sized DSLR (20D/30D are one of them), the EF-S 10-22. If you like ultra wide angle photography. You might want to consider that lens. Though I must also warn you that while that lens is truly exceptional, again it can't be used on FF and the wide angle lenses for Canon FF DSLR doesn't really have a good reputation. That's why many pros buy Leica wide angle lenses for their Canon.

19. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

You probably wont' have enough card space for the 5D and D200 especially if you shoot RAW.

Please do yourself a favor and don't use your DSLR with that canon plastic looking tripod, espeically if you end up getting the 70-200. It might not be designed to hold that much weight.

20. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

BTW, people end up craving for new lenses way more often than a new DSLR body.

When I got my 70-200 VR, it was like I walked into the store, saw this brand new never opened box. Be the first person to open it up and mount it to a camera. Boom I drop $2000 on a lens and filters.

The Nikon 70-200 VR and Canon 70-200 IS are both top of the line. Aside from the weight and price, they are perfect. They will hold their value fairly well.

Oh, please do get a UV filter for each one of your lenses. Get a good one, like the B+W. They are not cheap but they are worth it IMHO.

21. alex paik

alex paik New Member

yea, that would suck if the tripod broke while the camera was on there.. how much card space do you usually need?

i was thinking of getting more of a standard lens than a wideangle or telephoto or fancy lens.. later in the future, upgrade to some more lenses..

i was kinda set on the 5d actually.. i just wanted to know what lenses were good to start with..

22. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

If you have your mind set on the 5D then congrats. It is unquestionably an amazing camera. Little needs to be said about that.

For a normal zoom you have two options.

the 24-70 f2.8 L and the 24-105 f4 L IS. Both are great lenses. It would be hard to pick one. The basic pros and cons are.

24-70 f2.8
    Pros: larger aperture (more control over DoF) , faster shutter speed (to freeze motion), and better focusing as the Canon AF favors lens with f2.8 aperture.

Cons: no IS

24-105 f4 IS
    Pros: longer range, has image stablization
    Cons: not a f2.8. Earlier copy has some "crazy WTF" flare.

You can't go wrong with either one. The 24-105 is probably more versitile and sells with the 5D in a kit. Though I can see wher ethe f2.8 will be useful for the stuff that I do at times... Some people simply ended up getting both. :hsd:

For future references, look into the 17-40 f4 and 70-200 f2.8 IS for your WA and telephoto needs.

23. > 48 :eek3:

24. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

25. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

man, i would start off with a little cheaper of a body (like a 20d) which is a great all around camera, and spend the cash on your lenses. The lenses are interchangeable (as long as you buy EF) and you can always upgrade your body later if you decide you really need a full frame (5d). 20d is a great camera, and the prices will be dropping very soon.