Help me change my father's diet and lifestyle please.

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Wobistdu, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

Ok, so my dad just turned 50yrs old. Up until he was 30something, he was always in pretty decent shape. He lifted heavily as a kid and still has a big frame. In his younger days, he would bike miles and miles every day.

The last 10 years he has gained a good amount of weight. He works outside all day long in the spring/summer putting in patios/walls/brick walkways and all sorts of hardscaping for his business.

The problem is he does most of his eating out, and he loves shit like cheesesteaks and wings... all deep fried death.

What are some good tips I can tell him to start getting a little healthier? He recognizes the need to change his diet around.

I'm thinking tell him to stay away from the burgers/wings/etc... and try to do more chicken/seafood that isn't breaded deep fried?

2. Grimey

Grimey New Member

My dad had nearly the same deal, and in January needed two stents put in due to having one artery 90% blocked and another 93% blocked :hyper:

Since then, he has stuck to a low sodium and low fat diet, has cut soda/juices completely out of his diet, and has started to exercise again.... and has lost 15-20 lbs.

I had been on him for quite some time now, partially cause I'm a huge diet/lifting nut, but it had to come down to the doctor telling him he can't continue on this path; he nearly had a heart attack.

He's been good, but hopefully it doesn't come down to this for your Pops. From what I noticed, it's not just a diet change, but a lifestyle change.

Hopefully this helped a bit :wavey:

3. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

Yeah the part that hurt the worst is that my parents got divorced a while ago. His new woman doesn't cook shit, and when she does it's terrible. My mom is always the cook for healthier stuff like chicken and veggies. My dad isn't a fan of cooking, so they always eat out. Eating out is such fail. You have to struggle to find something halfway decent to eat on the menu.

4. Grimey

Grimey New Member

Yeah eating out is alright in small doses, just like anything else.

Seems like that's the first change he'd have to make, but that sucks that his new woman blows at cooking. Send her to some healthy cooking seminars or something- they have that stuff around here a lot :bowdown:

5. Raisedshoulder

Raisedshoulder Some Blode.

Also try to avoid trans fats if you can and limit saturated fats. For carbs look for whole wheat type foods that provide some nutrition and fiber. I'm not a pro on this stuff but this is stuff I'm learning from a nutrition class.

6. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Good luck man. My dad is in a similar boat.

Not even 50 yet and has already had a heart attack and needed a stint put in to clear a 95% clogged artery.

He also has a background of power lifting and stayed in relatively decent shape until 10 years ago when he hit over 300lbs+. He is borderline diabetes, is already on meds for high blood pressure, and still won't gain control of his health.

He's dropped 15lbs in the last few weeks, but who knows if this diet will last. He recently had spinal surgery so his movement is fairly limited now and that is just making things worse.
    It sucks when you see someone you care about slowly kill themselves and you know the solution is so easy.

7. Tomorleans

Tomorleans OT Supporter

My Ops Mgr. made this up for his dad. My Ops Mgr is a certified Fitness Trainer..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.