Help me buy a Crotch Rocket!

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by No Holds Barred, Apr 22, 2002.

1. I'm looking into buying my first bike. I was looking into a Katana 600, not huge but still plenty fast,
    not considered a "super sport" bike so the insurance would be cheaper, seating for 2 is a must.
    What do you guys ride and what other bikes might meet my criteria? Thanks for any input. GJ

2. mike1

mike1 Dance Bish

Do you have any bike experence?

3. I've been dirtbiking probly 10 times, and have been taken out on street bikes,
    but not driving, so no street biking experience.

4. mike1

mike1 Dance Bish

I'd say if your not a meathead the tuna wouldn't be a bad starter bike. I would recomend you taking the MSF course you will learn a lot from it.
    If you still know what bike everyone rides it's a R1. That be recently highsided. So Im getting rid of it.

5. Care to clarify that post a bit for me Mike? thanx bro.

6. mike1

mike1 Dance Bish

"Tuna" is just another name for the katana. As far as the meathead thing, if you have some self control and don't crack open the throttle the first day you get it you should be okay. You just have to remember a lot can happen in seconds and that could be the end of it.

Heres the link to theMSF You will learn so many things from this course. Hope this helps

7. Awesome, thaks man. Anybody else??

8. mike1

mike1 Dance Bish

And may I suggest buying used it will be less painfull to your wallet when you lay it down/drop it for the first time. And you could ride it for a season or two and probably sell it for the same if not near what you bought it for.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2002
  9. Dragknee66

Dragknee66 OT Law Enforcement Crew

I just bought my first bike as well.. if you can afford a new one.. go for it.. if youre thinking otherwise.. might want to re-consider then.

As for a 600cc.. well thats what i bought. A 600cc Ninja. Im still breaking it in as of today (400 miles now) and let me tell you.. just by getting it up to 5K and shifting.. ITS FAST :bowdown:

Maybe a little too fast since im just new. If your thinking about another bike quicker even.. forget it hehe. 600cc is more than enough.

Wether or not you go to a smaller bike to learn on is up to you. I can tell you one thing tho... a 600 is a god damn fast machine. BE CAREFUL...:wavey:

10. I'm in Ontario Canada so I'm not sure if the MSF is here, but if not i'm sure there
    is an equivalent course i'll take. I've read the Katanas are kinda heavy and they've
    got a bad wrap with some riders, any truth to this??

11. mike1

mike1 Dance Bish

check your pm's

12. Hpower281

Hpower281 Guest

Katanas break down more often than other bikes according to a friend who works at Austin Cycle Plex. He says he sees them in for repair more than others. As for how Katanas are....my friend just bought a 99 600cc with 1200 miles on it. He had me look over the bike and ride it to check and see that everything was ok. If it were me, I'd never buy one. I mean the ride is ok, but it doesnt turn like a sports bike. The 600 is heavy as hell and it feels more like a touring bike in the corners. The bike just feels kinda awkward (sp?). A real big difference from a dirt bike and even my R6. Sit on a few bikes and even try and ride some IF possible.

13. Thanks man, thats all i need to hear. The R6 is the bike that originally got me
    interested in buying a bike, but would it not be in the highest possible insurance
    bracket? Do you guys use MSN? [email protected] if ya do.

14. Hpower281

Hpower281 Guest

R6 isn't that bad (not as bad as the 1 litre bikes). I pay $804 a year for insurance on my R6. Thats full coverage. If you are under 25, then make sure you shop around....everyone will try and stick it in ya and break it off.

Be careful tho, all the guys on this board tell me I'm a dumbshit for buyin a R6 as my first street bike. It has alot of power and can get you in deep trouble if you don't respect it. Be careful and have fun. Make sure you take the MSF course or its aquivelant in Canada.

15. I would definately take a trainaing course. Hpower, how tall are you? Is the R6
    a good fit for you, comfortable.. etc..?? Anybody on here use MSN?

16. Hpower281

Hpower281 Guest

sorry , gotta cable internet.

I'm 5'9". The bike fits me like a glove. I stop at the light in a relaxed sit....I have my knees slightly bent, so you know I'm more than tall enough. Very comfortable....one thing tho...i found the Suzuki GSX-R to be more comfortable when laying down (on the tank). It seems the tank fits the curves of my chest a bit better than the R6...The gixxer has a longer reach for regular riding which i didnt like.

anyway, I love the bike....I loved it even more when I got a taste of how other bikes ride (i.e. Katana) compared to it.

17. Sounds good, I'm assuming i should expect to be in the highest braket for insurance with a bike like this?

18. mike1

mike1 Dance Bish

Yea we just say it for shits and giggles. Theres no reasoning behind it.:slap:

19. Hpower281

Hpower281 Guest

Nah, I understand why. Thats why I told the guy becareful....dont wanna hear about someone dying.

20. Now what would you guys consider a "good" price when looking for a used R6?
    I'll want a 2000 or newer model, I'm also in Canada so i'll have to work out the
    exchange rate, or if anyone is from Canada that would be helpful..
    I know the prices will vary according to location and mileage, just curious about an
    "average". Thanks. GJ

21. Hpower281

Hpower281 Guest

I paid $6999 for mine (2001 w/ 2200 miles). Paid a bit more than I would have if I went through an individual, but I'd rather have a bike with an extended warranty and have a friend working at the dealer. Friend of mine sold his 99' R6 for $5900 a month ago. If you want a 2000, you might as well get a 1999....no changes in model. 01 is when the tail changed (LEDs). Plus it'll be a bit cheaper. :bigthumb:

22. The SV650s is also a bike i'm considering, dont think i'm as likely to kill myself
    on it, j/j. Head a lot of good things about that bike. Its a little easier on the
    wallet also, You guys think it would suit me better? Opinions on the SV650s?

23. Hpower281

Hpower281 Guest

can't compare, never ridden one. Sit on it and that might help you decide.

24. AMan

AMan ???????????

I'm in the same boat as you except I have already bought a bike. I picked the YZF600R. Its a nice looking bike, it has a nice plush 2 pearson seat which means that you could ride for 100s of miles without the need of a chiropractor (this cant be said about the r6 or the r1). The breaks come streight off of the R6 and the R1. Has descent power and it accelerates nicely, but not enouh power to power wheelies and the like. The suspension is great. Handles nicely and is very forgiving. I couldn't have made a better decision about this bike. I absolutly love it.

25. Guest

Guest Guest

you should be able to wheelie a 600r, takes some finesse but she'll come up. I could wheelie my FZR600 which is about 10hp less and a bit heavier... you should have no problems, but wait a year or two ;)