Help me build my motor.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by BumpnFD, Aug 25, 2003.

1. BumpnFD

BumpnFD Why don’t you do a triple fucking axel over to the

Ok, i got a 350 chevy block for free from my friend. we are planning on making it a 383 stroker. waht do you reccoemnd for a complete build for this engine. gunna be mainly street car. lookign for 500-600 hp.

2. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

If you're looking for 500-600hp and good street manors, you should probably go for more displacement. Consider building something like a small 391/396 stroker. It's a little more expensive, but it does have a good rod/stroke ratio, and give alot of extra displacement. Make shure you have the load (thrust) side of the cylinder walls checked for thickness (sonic testing).
    If you still want to go for a 383 stroker, I recamend picking up an entire rotating assembly package at one time. These packages are often matched up farily well, and offer you alot of savings over picking and choosing from idevidual parts. I know LPE offers a pretty good setup with a Lunati forged crank, Oliver rods, and JE pistons. You could get away with less though, Scatt for example makes a damn good budget crank.
    Also if you want better street manors, you should probably go with some sort of fuel injection, and a conservative cam, with a little higher lift, but make shure you match it up to a good set of heads. For the street you want a set of heads that are going to have good port velocity at lower/mid rpms, this will help build torque, but also go with an intake with shorter intake runners. If you're going carburated, there are several single plane intakes that would fit the bill nicely. Again on the cams though, it's very important to match it to you're specific aplication. You're going to need to figure for intake and exhaust duration, lobe seperation angle, ect. Even take into account weather you want to go with a hydrolic, or solid, roller or flat tappet. Personaly I think a hydrolic roller is perfect for street use and is more reliable, but some people love a solid cam.
    Bottom line, give us some more info on what you have to spend, what exactly you're looking to do with it, and if you can, get a casting number, so I can tell you if it's one of the good blocks, and if it's post 87 (meening it would be a one piece rear man).

3. bugginout

bugginout New Member

info on where to find the LPE packages? looked at their website and had troulbe finding it.

4. Aaron74

Aaron74 Guest

Alright, There's a few things you really need to think about in this situation. You've got to think, What does it take to build a 500-600HP 383 stroker motor??

Well, I can tell you that a 600HP 383 isn't going to be so nicely manered on the street. It's going to take a pretty decent sized cam, mid-high compression and most likely a single plane intake. I would do what MAD said and go with more cubic inches than 383CID. But, when it comes to stroking a motor you have to worry about more than the question of will if hold together at 6500rpm or higher. When you get into longer than 3.75 inch stroke in a 350 block you have to worry about the cam lobes hitting the large journal end of the rods, especially when you've got 6.0 inch or longer rods. When that situation arises you have to get a small base circle cam with has less lift and durration which in turn gives less power.

If I were you I'd get a 400CID block from a junk yard somewhere. Take it to a machine shop and have it sonic tested. 400CID blocks have siamese bores which will allow you to make a much bigger bore than the 4.060 over that 350's can take (4.060 is just about the max for a 350 block. My 350 is .060 over and when this motor goes out whenever it will i'll have to get a new block most likely)
    400 mains crank mains are also larger than 350 mains making the cranks a little more stronger, but a little heavier. It's possible and not too overly expensive to make a 42X inch SBC. I would probably put some flat top fordged SRP or JE pistons in that will yeild about a 10-11.0:1 compression. That compression will allow you to make decent power, and still be tame for pump gas.

For the heads, You really can't beat AFR heads. You can get a full CNC ported, 220CC head for about 1,400.00$ And they DO kick ass.

For the cam, I would go with a solid roller. The lifters aren't as heavy as the hydraulic roller lifters and that will help you rev higher and run a bigger cam. Roller cams will allow you to run an agressive profile, but won't run real rough down low like huge flat tappet cans sometimes make motors do. Roller cams are 100X's better for reliability and power over standard flat tappet cams. But, if it comes down to it and you can't afford a full roller set up, atleast go with a solid flat tappet cam.

For intakes, I REALLY like my Edelbrock Performer RPM air-gap, but it won't handle 600HP. You're going to have to with a single plane. GMPP makes really good single planes and the Edel.Victor Jr. is a really good intake.

Just remember, if you're serious about building that high of HP SBC, it does take MONEY. If you're going to do it, then do it right. Get the entire rotating assembly fordged and ballanced. Have everything machined correctly and have everything matched and blue printed.
    It wouldn't be smart to just kinda guess, throw and half assed put together a high HP motor like that have and it explode on you.

-Aaron. :wavey:

5. BumpnFD

:bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb: thanks for the advice. whts your vette got for power?

6. coronet

coronet Do Andriods Dream of Electric Sheep?

Isn't Chevy making a 3XX Block with 720 Horsepower? I saw an ad on Spike TV.

7. Aaron74

Aaron74 Guest

The Vette's got about 420-440HP right now. But I've got a few other little things i want to do to it before I'll really be happy with it.

8. BumpnFD

:cool: how much total into the engine?

9. Aaron74

Aaron74 Guest

ummm..probably around 3500.00$ from machine work to carb studs.