Help me build an HTPC

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Hisma, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Hisma

Hisma OT Supporter

I am quite computer savvy, however I have never undertaken the building of an HTPC before.

Things I want to accomplish

-I want the HTPC to be able to pull files wirelessly from my main PC so I can transfer movies to watch on my home theater

-I want blu-ray and HD capability

-I want something fairly low profile, but powerful enough to accomplish the blu-ray/HD dealy without stuttering
    -I want software similar to XBMC that neatly organizes my movies for easy viewing

-HTPC will be connected to a 46" panasonic PZ850U plasma. It already has a VGA connection for PC hookup, as well as plenty of HDMI ports. I want the highest output quality possible

That's all I really care about it doing. I live in a condo so I do not have an audio set up... so no need for a fancy sound card. Also, I assume I have no need for a TV tuner since I already have direct TV service, right?

What should I purchase? I would like to keep the whole set-up under $800 if I can. I already have a spare 8800GT that I can possibly use as well... but if there is a better video card I'm all ears.

HELP MEEEEE

2. Hisma

Hisma OT Supporter

before anyone asks, I poked my head into the HTPC thread on avsforum, but the first post is extremely outdated, and the thread is over 300 pages long and i dont have the patience to sift through it all.

3. CrazyInteg

CrazyInteg Honda-Acura.net OG

I'm waiting for the new nettops coming this year.
    Dual core Intel Atom and some kind of semi-nice GPU should do 1080p easily.

4. Hisma

Hisma OT Supporter

hmm, when will they arrive?

I am in no huge rush. But do you have any recommendations for a specific case, mb, processor, blu-ray player etc?

I can build the PC no problem, but I've never made one so I have no idea what sort of hardware would be sufficient. :o I have a feeling the 8800GT will suffice, pretty sure it has built-in HD decoding... but no HDMI out :\

5. CrazyInteg

CrazyInteg Honda-Acura.net OG

6. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

I have an amd 5000 with 1gig of ram with an 8600gt to keep the CPU usage a little lower. Runs everything I throw at it over the network from my main media storage pc without a single issue. Media Center CPU runs at 5 percent streaming an 8 gig 720p mkv file from my downstairs computer with this setup.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  7. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

I just rebuilt my HTPC with the following:

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33ghz
    Gigabyte GeForce 9600GT 512MB PCI-E
    Kingston KVR800/2gb x 2 (total 4GB)
    Hec Zephyr 750w power supply.

I reused my existing hard and optical drives, along with my 2 Hauppauge PVR-150 cards for SD recording. I was going to buy a BD-ROM for it, but decided to wait as we don't really rent a lot of movies :mamoru:

I use SageTV (www.sagetv.com) for my front end, and find it works really well. I can't really recommend on a case as mine sits in a closet at the other end of the house in the office, so I really don't give a shit what it looks like or how loud it is. It's probably waaaaay overkill, but it's fast, plays 720p mkvs without breaking a sweat and when I get around to it will handle some light pc gaming as well. I wanted the quad so I can do my own video encoding on it eventually as well. That being said, you can probably get away with a good dual core, couple gigs of ram, and a decent vid card. The motherboard I got has digital audio out on it, so i didn't worry about a sound card.