Help me boot windows

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by split511, Jul 28, 2004.

1. split511

split511 Guest

I have a dell that was running windows 98 and it was pretty messed up so i was just gonna clear everything and do a clean install. I can't find the windows 98 cd-rom so i used the floppy and then i deleted the primary dos partition. However, i don't have a clue where to go from here. My cd-roms are now worthless and i just keeps bringing up A:|> and i don't know what command it wants. The only thing i ever got to work was Fdisk.exe and now i don't know what to do after i deleted the partition. I have a windows 98 boot floppy and a windows xp cd. Where do i go from here?

2. split511

split511 Guest

it told me i had to restart before changes would take effect and then i should format the drives but i don't know how to format. Also it told me to shut down windows before restarting but i cant shut down in this dos mode or whatever it is...

3. split511

split511 Guest

when i type format C: it says bad command or file name

4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Ahh yes, the infamous no format on the boot disk. You may be able to skip that step in this case - try it.

5. OmniFire

OmniFire *************************

Hey, don't Dell computers come with recovery discs??

anyways type this first:
    "extract ebd.cab format.com"

6. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

The WinXP CD SHOULD have the ability to reformat the drive during installation. You need to get into your BIOS settings and change the boot order so your first boot device is your CDROM drive.

On my Abit I have to press the delete key as the very first screen pops up where it detects the drives and tests the memory. My Compaq used to be F8 I think it was.

7. split511

split511 Guest

alright i repartitioned the drive, changed boot order to cd-rom first and then installed windows xp which formatted the drive for me...all went smoothly, thanks guys

8. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

Now install Acronis True Image, use it to make a bottable CD and backup your system every time you shut down to the second partition. It won't protect you in a hardware failure but will prevent you from losing your OS in a major crash.