A&P Help make my D40 European vacation ready :-(

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by threesixty, Mar 12, 2010.

1. threesixty

threesixty OT Supporter

So, I have a D40. It was a gift. It was my first camera with a real lens. I don't use automatic settings. I've learned enough to know that I hate using the flash, and that a tripod is worth it's weight in gold. Now I'm going to Europe, and I would like to take some of those awesome blue-roof-white-building-overlooking-the-caldera-in-santorini photos. You know.

I have the 18-55 lens, and it does me well enough, but it's meh for landscapes and anything in the dark really. Am I screwed? I would like a nice long lens that is capable of taking low light photos and maybe a fixed lens for "touristy" photos. This looks feasible -Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G DX Lens- but all of the long zoom lenses are $$$. Is that the price I'm gonna have to pay for my low end D40?

Anyone have any experience shooting what I'm going to be shooting on a D40? I step aside to your knowledge.

2. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

i just did europe. i used my 35 1.8 a lot in doors. it worked well.

i also used the tokina 11-16 2.8 in doors for tight wide shots. now that i have the tamron 17-50 2.8, i could see myself using primarily that and the nikon 35 1.8

you can rent a lens you know.

3. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

4. pl_silverado

pl_silverado OT Supporter

I spent 2 weeks in Santorini last year, i don't think its possible to take a bad picture there no matter what gear you have :bigthumb:
    I used a 10.5mm fish and 17-55 f/2.8 on my D300, didn't even bring the 70-200 with.

I bought my girlfriend a d90 kit with the 18-105 and her pictures came out great, i have no experience with the 18-55 however the 18-105 is pretty good during the day, and on a tripod at night.

Do take a tripod though, and have some fun.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  5. Kamekaze v.OT

Kamekaze v.OT New Member

If you're looking for something with reach and decent low light on a budget check out the tamron 70-200 2.8, I got mine for under $500 used and they are sub $800 brand new I beleive.

This is off topic, but are you the same threesixty that used to post on trs?

6. jshively

jshively OT Supporter

I like the 70-200 Tammy. Yes it is typical Tammy with slow to autofocus but for the price you cannot go wrong.

However, test it thoroughly before leaving. Mine had a wonderful problem where it would lock up. Sent it back in and so far the problem has not appeared.

7. Idyfohu

Idyfohu New Member

IMO, you're best off with a 35mm 1.8 (it's great on a DX sensor) and relatively cheap and then an all around zoom such as the 18-105 VR as stated above, the 18-135, or even the 18-200mm, which is such a versatile lens at the cost of not tack sharp. The thing is, if you're content with the picture quality in your 18-55mm lens, then all of these will be even better.

I personally wouldn't want to lug around a 70-200mm, but then again, I probably would since I have one.

Read around and talk to people, but my vote is for a 35mm Prime and one good all-around zoom lens.