HELP: Is this a good speaker for under $100??

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by luvthong, Mar 5, 2003.

1. luvthong

luvthong Guest

[​IMG]

So I got a deal for $85 for this Sony speaker and here is the spec:

6 1/2" HOP woofer cone: A proprietary Sony speaker cone material which combines high strength; low weight; and low resonance resulting in improved transient response; higher power handling; and flatter frequency response
    2" Metal Midrange
    1" PEI Balanced-Dome Tweeter
    Built-in 2-way passive crossover: A component or circuit used to divide the audio signal into specific frequency bands
    200 Watts Maximum Input Power (50W RMS)
    High Compliance rubber surround
    Aluminum Die-cast Frame: A speaker basket constructed from aluminum (for strength & high damping) using casting production techniques
    Gold Plated binding posts
    4 ohm voice coil
    Sensitivity: 90 dB/W/m
    Frequency Response: 30 - 28000 Hz
    Weight: 1;180 g (2 lbs. 10 oz.) per speaker
    Dimensions: 6 1/2" x 2 1/2"

Built-in 2-way passive crossover: A component or circuit used to divide the audio signal into specific frequency bands
    What's a built in 2 wy passive crossover? I am very new to this so please help. Are they the same as those cross over component where there are two mid ranger speakers plus two tweater? Anyone has experience with this speaker?
    I want to put it in the front and just use a lower cost at the rear, will it improve the sound qualifty?

2. CopenKagan

CopenKagan OT Supporter

Seems like a pretty nice speaker. The sensitivity is a little lower than I would buy, but still pretty good sounding. I think I would buy 92 or 93dB minimum.

3. 04

04 Guest

First of all, you need to know that all those specifications are pretty meaningless.....

I presume you already bought those speakers? If so, why AFTER you bought them do you ask us if they are good or not?

Quite frankly, my opinion on Sony speakers is that they are not very good. They seem to be more about looks than performance, IMO.

A passive crossover just means that there is either a resistor, inductor or capacitor or a combination of those wired in series, or parallel to attenuate certain frequencies, or the entire devices output. A good passive crossover is crucial for accurate sound, but I doubt those speakers have more than a single electrolytic capacitor in series with the tweeter(s) to prevent them from playing low frequencies....

4. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

you bought crap good job :bigthumb:

5. luvthong

luvthong Guest

Re: Re: HELP: Is this a good speaker for under $100??

I haven't bought it yet, but since it so affordable, and all I want is better than the crap factory speakers. :bigthumb:

6. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

i jsut love how when you use the :bigthumb: you coem off as positive

your goan die :bigthumb:

its amazing

7. 04

04 Guest

Re: Re: Re: HELP: Is this a good speaker for under $100??

What is the maximum price you will pay? Are you going to install them, or have a shop do it?

I assume you are going to run them off the factory head unit?

8. Sony is crap!!!!!

9. 04

04 Guest

:blanketstatement:

Some of their stuff is decent for the money.

10. They've got good headunits, thats about it.

11. 042801 I was told your know what your doing by Audiophile. So I'll take your word on the new stuff is alright!!!:)

12. 04

04 Guest

:sigh:

I am not saying its good either. Just don't post blanket statements that something sucks without giving reasons why you feel that way, please.