Help installing sound card

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Lateralus, May 11, 2005.

1. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

Do I need to uninstall all the drivers and programs associated with my onboard sound, or just disable my onboard sound in BIOS before I install the new card?

Also I read that I shouldn't install the card in the first PCI slot after the AGP because of possible problems that can occur. So is just skipping one slot and putting it in the second PCI OK? Thanks.

I also read that I don't need to hook any wires up to it, just put it in the PCI slot because Windows XP runs the sound through the PCI bus. Is that correct?

Last edited: May 11, 2005
  2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

It may be a good idea to uninstall the software/drivers for the on-board sound, but I usually don't. You will need to disable the on-board sound in the BIOS to rule out any conflicts.

I have a lot of crap in my PC and never heard of not using the first slot after the AGP. I usually just put the card in a free slot.

There shouldn't be any wires to hookup. There used to be an audio cable going from the card to a CD-ROM drive for sound, but I believe XP can do that without it.

3. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

Thanks you answered all my questions :)