help installing neons!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mikeveli, May 1, 2002.

1. Mikeveli

Mikeveli The Don

ok i have the streetglow 9 inch mini neon tubes...i also have a 15amp 2-position (on & off) switch...the switch does not say which side is positive or negative...this is how i had it hooked up...

the positive wire coming from the neon transformer going into one side of the switch...
    the negative wire coming from the neon transformer going into the other side of the switch...
    i have another wire coming from the side of the switch where the positive wire is aleady, this is wrapped around my radio/clock fuse (15a) under my dash...
    and there is another wire coming from the side of the switch where the negative is already, this is connected to a ground...

NOW, with this setup..i turn on stereo and the neon's and radio are working...when i flip the switch i hear a POP, the radio and neons don't work, and the fuse (15a) is blown...

i go and replace the fuse, and switch the wires on the switch around, thinking that they are hooked up to the wrong sides, when i turn on the radio..radio and neon works, but when i flip the switch i hear crackling and popping, then a bunch of smoke shows up...

i turn off the radio, and i see the wire going from switch to the ground and the wire going from the switch to the fuse are all burnt up...the wires from the neon transformer to the switch is all good though...and also the fuse is fine this time...
    anyone know wtf is up with this shit?

2. My Dixie Wrecked

My Dixie Wrecked STFU & get the ball!!! OT Supporter

i think you're wiring of the switch is wrong. You're suppose to wire + on both sides of the switch so when you flip it on, the switch touches the two + wires together. When you flip it off, the + current is broken, thus the neons shut off. As for having a wire going to your fuse, shouldn't you have it running to a 12V wire, like your accessory wire? I could be wrong.

3. Mister Mac'

Mister Mac' Av: Daniela Denby-Ashe in Torchwood S1Ep7

4. KOZ3769

KOZ3769 Guest

hey mikeveli...were u from tupac.net???

5. Mikeveli

Mikeveli The Don

yea i was...dam how u remember my name that was like years ago...they closed down they email right

6. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

haha sorry

its 2 wires man how hard is that to fuck up

7. KOZ3769

KOZ3769 Guest

i remember posting there all the time..hah remember u2k?