HELP!!!!! Install gone bad :(

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by myz, Jul 12, 2004.

1. myz

myz New Member

I was using partition magic... was reading on here how some people have their OS on its own partition so they don't lose their music and stuff.... well i made a partition and as it was setting it up 33% through it came up with an error. Kept getting blue screens everytime XP was loading. Reformatted then tried to install XP Pro. It stalls halfway through on "installing devices". Tried like 10 times. I even got another XP Pro disk and it still wouldn't work. I have 2 hard drives so I switched the master and slave and tried and STILL it won't work. Keeps freezing. Any idea what I can do? I'm posting on my mom's win95 comp lol. Please help :(:(:(:(

2. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

you might want to remove any unnecessary pci cards and install, then add them one at a time after the os is loaded.

3. myz

myz New Member

i read somewhere about using the xp disk recovery console and doing fixmbr is that a good idea?

4. col_panic

if you have no boot manager you can use fixboot to recreate it, but you are hanging during install, which probably means you are getting some sort of device driver conflict rather than a boot problem

the question isn't whether using fixmbr or fixboot is a good idea, it is whether it addresses the problem you are having

5. myz

myz New Member

i did put in a network card about a week ago... could that be it?

6. oradii

oradii www.oteampress.com

try removing everything but your cdrom and main hard drive. When windows setup gets to the screen where it asks you which partition to put Windows on, go a head and delete any partitions that are available.

One you have only unpartitioned space, try to create a partition of 20gigs(if you have enough), then load windows onto that partition. This will clean the boot record and anything else on your drive that windows might be running into, giving you a clean slate to load onto.

If that works, once you get into windows, you can use the disk manager(rightclick MyComputer/Manage) to format the rest of that hard drive into its own partition.

b

7. col_panic

^ exactly. then add your other cards (like the nic) one at a time. if you experience a problem with the nic or whatever you will know which one was at fault. the driver on the xp cd was probably not the one you used to install the device that is giving you problems.

8. myz

myz New Member

it locked up again.... so its not the boot record like u said lol.... anyway i'm about to go thru and take out everything but the cd-rom and hard drive... one question.... what about the ram and all that? leave it all in right? i'm an idiot when it comes to hardware.... also how do i make a partition a certain size when i use the xp disc?

9. oradii

oradii www.oteampress.com

you need the ram and the processor for the machine to do anything, so yes, leave in the ram. Partition magic was the culprit I am pretty sure. The same thing happened to me before and I lost all my music and such..11k or so mp3s... Anyway, to make the partition

http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/XPClean.htm

Try to follow along on that page. In step 5 he says how to delete partitions. Go ahead and delete all your partitions. Then there should be an option to 'create partition'. If there is not just use the whole space to set up windows, then you can create a partition later in windows.

10. myz

myz New Member

turns out it was that network card.... thanks y'all :).... instead of partition magic is there another way to make partitions later on?

11. col_panic

yeah - disk administrator, which comes with xp. just don't allocate all the space when you make the first partition on install. if you do that, you will have to non-destructively repartition, which is why you would use partition magic.