Help in Detailing with a Polish/Wax

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Jay487, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Jay487

Jay487 What's Life If You Ain't Enjoyin' It?

Hi - I have read over some of the stickies but I am still a little confused in some areas, as I haven't done a full detail before.

I usually just wash/wax my car, but it has been many months since I have done either. So I figure I better polish/clay bar as well. It's black paint also. :hs:

I got a free container of this polish
    [​IMG]

But after applying it to a small spot it leaves a TON of scratches/swirls. As far as I know it is supposed to do this, as the abrasives in the polish are 'cleaning' the paint. However even after waxing over where I polished it the scratches remain... which leaves me wondering what I'm doing wrong.

On the back of the container it says contains mild abrasives, and after cleaning to protect your car with a wax.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I plan on buying a claybar product at Autozone (if they have any) and hopefully those directions are a little more accurate than these. I've heard claybar is pretty easy so I should be able to figure that out without a problem.

What steps should I apply things in and what do you reccomend I use? (products that can be obtained locally)

2. iCe

iCe Active Member

Rubbing compounds are way too agressive for the paint. The abrasives marred the paint and possibly damaged it. You will need to go over the paint with a less abrasive polish.

3. Jay487

Jay487 What's Life If You Ain't Enjoyin' It?

It's a polishing compound :dunno:

What would be a less abrasive polish that might be available at Autozone?

4. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

You didnt work it long enough.

Polishes are not like a wax, you cant just rub them on, then rub them off.

You have to work them in, continuously, untill allt eh abrasives breakdown, and your left with almost bare paint. In other words, your talking about measuring the time it takes to hand polish your car, in hours. Not minutes.

A common problem of people who use polishes, even with a buffer, is not working them down long enough. If you dont completely work the polish, you will put more scratches in teh pain then you remove. Often times the other big problem is useing to much polish. If you use to much, you wont be able to break the polish down. And with the way you apply that turtle wax polish, over application is a common problem.

So, in short. Use less product. Work it longer untill its almost completely gone, then move on.

And of course, if at all possible, try getting a better quality product.

5. exceldetail

exceldetail New Member

That is better suited for spot repairs. You need a general purpose cleaner and/or polish. Try the Mothers line available at most auto repair stores.....

6. Phishy4

Phishy4 New Member

I'm not sure I would use that stuff on my paint man. If you're working by hand and don't have a bunch of swirls and are more interested in cleaning the paint than trying to remove imperfections try Klasse AIO (red bottle). For a corrective polish by hand, I know meguiars has one (#81 I think) that may work well.

7. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Basically, what the others have said...

If you are going to polish by hand, pick up a bottle of Meguiars #9 at Pep Boys or Autozone. Works much better and you can easily break the abrasives down by hand.