Help. I'm scared (think I need a new HDD in my OS X G4)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by maczter, Jun 18, 2004.

1. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

I've replaced and upgraded several hard drives on my old pre-OS X macs, but have yet to do it on an OS X box, but the primary drive on my G4 has been making intermittent funny noises while showing me the spinning rainbow wheel at random times for the past few months.

First, is there anything else that could be causing it to do that besides a hard drive on its way out? I'm not totally convinced that it is going bad, but it certainly doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy when it happens.

Is it toast? Could it be something else?

If it does need to be replaced, how difficult is it to move everything to a new drive under OS X (I remember just dragging and dropping everything on the drive and renaming the new drive to the old drive's name once the old drive was renamed on pre-OS X systems)?

2. maczter

Yep. I've done both.

3. voges

voges Guest

this isn't a permissions issue... I'd run disk utility repair disk on your internal hard drive. Easiest way is to boot off your os x cd and from the installer menu chose "disk utility." Here, it will let you repair the disk. Apple has documented a few other ways of doing this here:
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214

4. maczter

I ran Apple's disk utility too, but haven't gotten around to booting from the system CD so i caould run it on the startup disk, which is the one that's making funny noises.

Thanks. I'll give it a shot.

5. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

funny noises from a hard disk = backup and replace ASAP. Utilities might be able to mark out bad sectors but thats not a fix, only a band aid at best.

6. maczter

Last edited: Jun 19, 2004
  7. maczter

Update. I went to CompUSA and bought DiskWarrior last night. When I tried to run a graph of the problematic drive (partition), it gave me an error message and said it couldn't complete it, so I told it just to rebuild and it churned forever after the status bar stopped moving, so I finally canceled. After browsing the manual, I noticed a "scavenge" option and gave that a shot and it worked. I just need to clear off some disk space so it can do a "fail-safe" rebuild.

I'll report back once I've done that.

8. maczter

Well...good news.

After clearing some more space on the drive that was having problems, I re-ran DiskWarrior using the Scavenge option and it worked. Once it was finished rebuilding, I was able to use the Graph function again and was able to run fsck without any errors.

Looks like DiskWarrior was the ticket for this problem.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2004
  9. maczter

Just an update. Looks like the DiskWarrior fix took care of the problem as the intermittent noises have yet to reappear since using DiskWarrior.

Thanks to those suggesting Disk Utility, as I honestly would never have guessed that something like an "invalid key length" would cause strange noises from the drive. While Disk Utility couldn't fix it, it put me on the right track.

10. acabrera

acabrera Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

Nice, I should pick up that program just in case. I would back all your shit up to removable media and buy a new drive and reinstall. Take this as a lucky opportunity and prepare yourself for next time.

11. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Yep. He probably has bad sectors and Disk Warrior moved the data to a safe location, so the drive isn't killing itself trying to read from those bad sectors. However, bad sectors have a bad habit of spreading.

12. acabrera

acabrera Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

:werd:

I've never had a drive just fuck up a little on me (x86 or Mac); they either work fine forever or die horrible deaths and take all my shit down in flames.

13. maczter

Alright. That leads the last part of my original quesiton then...

If it does need to be replaced, how difficult is it to move everything to a new drive under OS X (I remember just dragging and dropping everything on the drive and renaming the new drive to the old drive's name once the old drive was renamed on pre-OS X systems)?