Help!! I HAVE BEEN HACKED

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by iroc21, Mar 28, 2005.

1. iroc21

iroc21 Guest

Someone has somehow gotten ahold of my hotmail e mail account (which I have had for 5 years) and changed the password AND the secret question to reset the password (secret question is now asdasdasd). Using this, they have also hacked my ebay account somehow, and ebay shut it down.. When I search my screenname on ebay, it says I am no longer a registered user, and my location has been changed to United Kingdom.. I have a email i sent to ebay, and I'm waiting on a response, but MSN is not being too much help.. Does anyone know what I can do, or am I just Screwed?

2. Shampoo

Shampoo Rinse & Repost

Nothing you can do I'm afraid. He's pretty much gotten your identity. I'd say start over.

3. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Nothing you can really do about the Hotmail account (except not use that piece of shit in the future), but the eBay account is probably more important (since it probably has your personal info on it) and they'll probably help you out. In the future, be careful with your passwords.

4. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

How did they penetrate your system?

5. Juvenall

Juvenall What Would Juvie Do?

This sounds like one of those "I use the same password on everything" situations.

6. iroc21

iroc21 Guest

I'm really not sure how they got into my system. And yeah...i USED to use the same password for everything. That was dumb I guess. Ebay was aware that someone was tampering with my account a week or so before it happened. They sent me an email that wanted me to follow a link and verify some info. Unfortunately, I was out of town and didn't get it. Good news is, I'm all fixed. MSN reset my e mail password after telling them everything up to my shoe size, and ebay did the same. Turns out the guy was from London, England, and had tried to sell a BMW with one of those schemes where you send him money and he sends you some back or whatever. That's why they shut my account down. Luckily this time, I suffered no major losses, and my paswords are ALL different. I will also be changing them every month or so. So how would someone get my info like that???? Thanks for the help guys

7. Juvenall

Well, the odds come down to one of three things.

1) A really good guess or brute force dictonary attack
    2) You were suckered into something (virus, fake signin page, etc)
    3) You used that password on a site with low ethics.

To explain #3 a little, on some forums (or IRC, community site, etc), it's possible for the admin (or other staff) to view your password. Since most people don't use some sort of secure storage for good passwords (as in 12 characters of random alphanumeric content), they often use the same thing everywhere. Hotmail and eBay are the first two places someone looks (often with Pay Pal in a very close third).

I think you would be well served by a program like Personal Passworder (Google it). It'll store your passwords in 128-bit encryption and allow you to have really good passwords without remembering much. The down side is you need a good password to access your personal file..lol.

8. Penguin Man

I generally use the same password for everything (except sketchy sites, where I use a sketchy password). However, I pick a good password (not based on a word in any language, at least 8 characters, etc) and I change it every couple months.

9. iroc21

iroc21 Guest

I appreciate it, man... I will try out the personal passworder thing.

10. ClaireBear

ClaireBear Guest

STOP!...

Fazed! Check your PMs!!!!!!! Please!

....CARRY ON!

(I loved Mark and Lard on Radio1 :mamoru: )

11. !!

12. teh professor

teh professor

Have you considered the possibility that he correctly guessed the answer to your secret question? It's funny how people will use a secure 12 character alphanumeric password for Hotmail, yet their secret question is "Favorite pet's name". Using Google and/or a little social engineering can often get the answer.

Tips for securing your secret question:

-Change your location to some obscure place in the US nowhere near where you live. Hotmail doesn't require zip codes for other countries, so it's easier to hack if you live in Canada, for instance. And don't use 90210.

-Make your question something ridiculously simple, like "What color are my eyes?" This will send the hacker on a wild goose chase, when your answer is actually "dagjfagkafjafgkjagyutuyhkhfjduykafakrt".

Last edited: Apr 4, 2005
  13. Absolutnook

Absolutnook New Member

Yeah if you use the same pw for everything use you SS ... a bunch of numbers, only you know it ... and some doctors, employer, etc ..

14. Juvenall

:wtcslap:

..then in the event a rogue site or key logger happens to snag it up, you can face the fun of identity theft.

15. Penguin Man

A bunch of numbers isn't a very good password. Number combinations are easy to generate and check. A seemingly random mixture of letters, numbers and special characters is best. I like to pick a word in English that I can remember or write down, then translate it into an obscure language (say Latin or Italian), then replace some of the letters with numbers or special characters and add some numbers or special characters to the end. As far as my computer can tell, it's not based on a word in any language.

16. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

passphrases > passwords

17. iroc21

iroc21 Guest

Dammit

It has happened AGAIN!!! I noticed someone selling something under my name.. At the time, I could still log into both my e mail and ebay accounts. I ended the auction, and immediately changed both the passwords on my email and ebay (NOT to the same thing of course) Not 4 hours later, i couldn't get in to either one. So I contacted ebay, and they reset my ebay password, and I immediately switched my ebay email from my hotmail account to my yahoo account. This was at about 1AM.. The next morning at 8:00, They had hacked my yahoo account and my ebay account again. What is going on?? How are they getting into my system?

18. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

You have a fucking trojan. Unplug your network cable and isolate yourself from the rest of the world. Decontamination crew, end this guy, stat!

19. iroc21

iroc21 Guest

Dammit this shit is fucked up.. I have run adaware, spybot, have McAffe updated and everything... I'm about ready to throw this fucking computer through a window :mad:

20. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

You need to reformat. Sorry, but it needs to be done.

21. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

Either that or a variation on "help me haxxor this hotmail account!!"

22. perry

perry burp

return your computer to the store

23. MrMan

MrMan New Member

probably a keylogger on your system? or remote desktop and they are viewing your screen.

Try AVGFree antivirus and see if it catches anything. But for now, change your passwords somewhere else... friend's computer or so.

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

24. iroc21

iroc21 Guest

cool. I will give this a try man. Thanks so much