Help: I bought sr-60s

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SquallRm, Dec 21, 2005.

1. SquallRm

SquallRm New Member

I bought a pair of sr-60 2 weeks ago.

I noticed that playing some different songs, the headphones make a small distortion noice when a note is too high. I am thinking of returning them.

My question is, what is burning in? i hear it a lot. i am going to replace the pair, what should i look out for to not damage the headphones?

2. johnson

johnson New Member

burning in means listening to them at a moderate level when you first get them for whatever many hours the manufacturer recommends.

3. Ronin

Ronin Guest

burning in a speaker basically means parts like the spider and other moving parts loosen up a bit which will increase low end extension, burn in has nothing to do with the fact you are getting distortion, unless the headpones just plain suck, all headpones, speakers, anything, should work correctly from the factory, most drivers have been pre-burnt in

telling u something needs to burn in is snake oil

an indepth overview of break in:

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/audioprinciples/loudspeakers/SpeakerBreakIn.php

an excerpt where he is describing a large quantity of drivers sitting around where none had been burned in:

"[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=arial,verdana]At that particular establishment, driver burn in was a quick process: a sine wave, delivered at the driver’s pre-burn in fs and at an amplitude large enough to stretch the driver’s suspension, but not so large to cause damage was used. Following initial burn in, suspension compliance would show the usual expected shift, then eventually drift back to and settle at a value something on the order of ~5% to 10% greater than [/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana]than that measured pre-burn in. In this case, taking the time to burn in drivers was necessary."[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,verdana]
    [/FONT]

and

"[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=arial,verdana]But once a driver is past the initial suspension-stretching break in, do further changes occur?[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,verdana]Regardless of how completely broken in a driver may be, while under operating conditions many well-known & understood mechanisms come in to play that affect several of a driver’s measured parameters, including suspension mechanical compliance. [/FONT]

[FONT=arial,verdana]When under normal operating conditions, its not at all unusual to see in a driver that has already been broken in a further 5% to 20% drop in a [​IMG], due largely to an increase in the mechanical compliance of driver’s suspension. In this case, typically it’s the temporary elastic deformation of the surround that’s the cause of the increase in driver compliance.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,verdana]Cease stimulus and the driver’s compliance will return – in most cases within seconds or minutes depending upon surround design, material composition, ambient temperature and so on - to its pre-stimulus value; the compliance changes are temporary. So too are the changes that occur in all the other driver parameters that are effected by compliance, hence the changes in [​IMG], [​IMG] etc."[/FONT]

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]

4. SquallRm

SquallRm New Member

I must be unlucky then, this is 3d audio item ive bought that brings me back to an annoying problem.