Help! How do i get my logitech 5450's to work? (iMac)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ubisquo, May 3, 2007.

1. Ubisquo

Ubisquo New Member

These beasties arrived in the mail today (hurrah!), but i'm a bit confused as to how to set them up. The cable in the box is the normal audio cable i'm used to (3 wires, green/yellow/black), but i've only got the one port in the back of the (intel) iMac. On the website they said the speaker system was digital, so i assumed that meant it would come with a single digital cable that plugs in the back (this came with some creative speakers i got a few years back), alas, the box has no such thing. :(

Is there a really simple way to do this that i'm missing, or do i need to wander off and find a cable? If so, what?

2. Ubisquo

Ubisquo New Member

Update: Using the effect 'PLII Music' or 'PLII Movie' brings on the other 3 speakers using just the one cable (green). Done some music tests and a THX optimiser thing, looks like it's all working fine.. just had a panic when i opened the box. Everything's looking dandy (well, they only set 2/3 plugs for the speakers, but other than that, dandy).

3. Jacen2141

Jacen2141 New Member

That will work but your best sound will come from the digital optical connection on the back of that Logitech control center. Just pick up the adapter from Apple that turns your mini connector (on the back of the iMac) to a digital optical connection. Grab a digital optical cable and you're done.

4. Ubisquo

Ubisquo New Member

Aye matey, i did some googling earlier, managed to find an optical cable with a mini-jack, so now it's groovy. Just put on the boat fight from POTC, could hear wood splittng infront of me, cannons behind.. it was pretty swish. :o

It's going to take me *ages* to get used to not being able to use the keyboard/remote for volume, though.. that's become hardwired after the last few years.