Help guys, Vista is fucking my ass.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GreatDeceiver, Feb 14, 2008.

1. GreatDeceiver

GreatDeceiver OT Supporter

I just got a Gateway notebook a few weeks ago. After installing some basic software: Winamp, Daemon Tools, BitTorrent, VLC Media Player, and WinRAR, I can't get Windows to load! Fucking blue screen with STOP: 0x00000050 PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. I've tried Gateway support but they just tell me to reformat Windows and not download any "third party software" :ugh:. One chick finally told me about a Hotfix Windows has for this.

But fucking Microsoft, the billionaires they are, want me to pay $80 to even talk to me about this. I'm at a loss, and the internet doesn't seem to help much, Microsoft's support site gives me this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939720

Any and all help would be amazing. I don't want to reinstall Windows and lose everything, I just started on this computer and to have such a critical error as not loading Windows so soon is really disheartening.

Cliffs: allthatshitbyme.jpg, Vista won't load, STOP: 0x00000050, I'm going insane.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

download memtest86+, burn to cd, and boot to it and let it run for a while.

generally that means faulty ram, but it could also be other bad hardware or even a bad os install.

3. GreatDeceiver

Hmm I dunno is that like the memory test that you can run by getting to the windows repair screen by hitting f8 during startup? Because I did all that stuff, and no problems were found. From what I see online, people site a number of issues, from Norton to certain drivers and all kinds of other stuff. Gateway ppl keep telling me its probably because of some third party software that I d/l'd.

No clue what to do, I'll give this memtest a try though. Any more advice comp crew?

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

shut up and run the test. it has nothing to do with f8.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

memtest86+ is similar to the memory test that comes with Windows, but it's a different program. Just run it for a couple of hours and see if it finds anything the Windows memory test missed.

That said, the page you linked is impressive in its uselessness. There's a patch to fix the problem but you have to call to get it because it isn't perfect yet? Are they serious? At least provide a link to the fucking thing, and just make users have to accept a disclaimer first.

6. GreatDeceiver

Yeah exactly. They know there's a problem, they are "working" on fixing it, and some shady ass hotfix that may or may not work and can cost me $80 is all they have. I'm running the program at home while I'm at work and I'll check back on it when I get home.

7. deusexaethera

Nah, just tell them you're not going to pay $80 on top of the purchase price to spend two minutes on the phone with a tech who's going to email you a patch, and if they don't believe you, here's your license code....

8. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Well since the computer is so new, and was obviously working prior to you installing the apps you listed,
    then it's reasonable to say that one of those programs you installed caused a conflict.

Try going into safe mode and deleting them one at a time followed by a reboot.

When windows reboots, you'll know which program it didn't like.

9. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

You most likely installed a non-compatible version of software.

10. deusexaethera

Still, it definitely sounds like the ball is in Microsoft's court. I say you bug them until they give you the beta patch. You can always get the final version of the patch when it rolls out.

11. tayz

tayz New Member