HELP! - G4 tower + PowerBook G4 + Linksys Router + RoadRunner

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by vurb, Feb 17, 2005.

1. vurb

vurb OT Supporter

OK. I just bought a Linksys wireless-B router. I want to connect my G4 tower to it (via ethernet cable) as well as my G4 powerbook (wirelessly). I was hoping it was going to be plug and play, but that wasn't the case. ISP is RoadRunner btw. So I've got the modem plugged into the router and then the #1 slot going to the computer. I try getting on the internet, nogo. So I then went to the linksys 192.168.1.1 page. It pulled up and I applied all the default settings it had preselected, changed the SSID from linksys to my own name and hit apply. All looked well. Still no internet access however. What am I doing wrong here?

note...the powerbook pulls up my newly named network, shows a strong signal, however it cant access any web pages either..
    Also, when I restart the computer with this setup all plugged in, the Finder wont load until I unplug the ethernet cable from the comp.
    :sadwavey:

2. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

try buying a five-port switch and plugging it in between the cable modem and the router.

i was having the same problem with my parents' network and roadrunner couldn't help. i finally gave in and called linksys (i'm usually able to resolve technical issues on my own). linksys told me to put a switch in between the router and cable modem because roadrunner had recently applied updates to their cable modems that was causing compatibility issues between their modems and some routers. i fully believe it was an intentional thing by roadrunner to "encourage" people to pay for roadrunner's wireless router renta/and or to try and force people to pay the additional amount for multiple computers. regardless, it did the trick.

3. vurb

vurb OT Supporter

OK, i was looking in all the wrong places. turned out I just needed to turn off the modem and router, wait, turn modem back on, wait to see that it was getting a signal, and THEN turn on the router. working like a champ now..

4. POScar

POScar Believe in OFFTOPIC

If your power ever goes out and your cable modem resets make sure you reset your router too with the little button on the back.

5. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

You don't need to reset the router with it's button just because the power goes out. All you have to do is remember the order to power them back on and just like you've said already.
    Cable modem, router, computer.

I'll admit I don't use a Linksys router, I've got a MacSense router, and I've never had to use the reset button because of a power outage.