help formatting a Dell.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ricearonie, May 3, 2004.

1. Ricearonie

Ricearonie RAWRRRRRRR!!!

i'm trying to help out my cousin to format her dell dimension 4600 with windows xp pro (not legit) but i seen to run into a problem while installing. in the install screen it won't let me install certain files, one off the top of my head is srv.spl (or something like that)

i know the cd works fine so that isn't the problem, and i have a feeling it has something to do with dell computers (not experienced enough with them). so how can i get around to formatting the computer completely? any help would be appreciated.

edit:

i did an upgrade from xp home (originally on the dell) to xp pro and it worked no problem but thats not what i wanted. so i reformatted deleting the partion and when it came to copying the files from the cd to the HD to install thats when it stopped.

Last edited: May 3, 2004
  2. tempus

tempus Going quietly insane. OT Supporter

Dunno -- I've never had any hard disk problems with Dells. Their hardware tends to work as advertised. It could be bad sectors on the hard drive or a flaky CD-ROM.

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

There's nothing special about a Dell that won't let you install whatever OS you want on it. Whenever I've had trouble installing an OS from a bootable CD onto a blank hard disk, its been a problem with either:

1) scratched CD
    2) flakey CD-ROM drive
    3) bad memory, or
    4) bad hard disk