Help for a newbie programmer

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Er0si0n, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Er0si0n

Er0si0n New Member

I was wondering if you guys could point me in the best direction to go aboiut developing a little application. I have minor experience in both Java and VB.

Basically, say I have a folder with a bunch of documents.

I want to be able to:

1) Search through all those documents by keyword. (i.e If I type "dog" it will return me the results of all the documents in that directory with the word dog in it.)

2) Maybe implement a sorting feature that could then take all documents that contain the keyword and place them into a designated directory. (i.e If it finds two documents containing "dog" it can place them in a folder called "DogFind")

As my topic says...I really am a newbie, and would have no idea of where to even start figuring this out, so any advice you can give me would be great.

2. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

Are you trying to check by filename or the actual ASCII text that may be within the file?

BTW - Windows' built in search feature will find them for you.

3. Er0si0n

Er0si0n New Member

By the actual ASCII text.

4. Er0si0n

Er0si0n New Member

I didn't realize you could search the text inside documents with the search feature in windows. But it would still be nice for me to have an app, that could scan a particular folder and place all the findings into a specified directory in one button click.

5. GunboatDiplomat

GunboatDiplomat New Member

Of course it would be nice to have such a program. Automation is a wonderful thing and it can only be achieved through programming, so lets see what we can do for you!

If you already have some programming experience and, thus, already know the basics of programming, I would recommend one of two programming langauges to you: Ruby or Python.

They are both powerful programming languages. They are easy to develop for, they have simple interfaces to your shell (so you can easily do things like move or rename your files!) and they are available, natively, for your OS (MS Windows). Perhaps most importantly, there are beginner tutorials for both languages available, for free, right on the internet, so you don't even have to go buy yourself a book...

I prefer Ruby. It's very consistent and it's quite fun to program in. There's adequate documentation and plenty of community help is available to you from the newsgroup comp.lang.ruby, the web forum. There's also a mailing list but that might just be a portal to the newsgroup, so you might be served better by that. The most popular tutorial for Ruby is quite possibly Why's poignant guide to Ruby, which features cartoon foxes and some crazy humour. If you want something a little more straight-forward, you can just read the first edition Pickaxe book, the official Ruby programmer's guide.

I have nothing against Python. It is currently more popular in the western hemisphere than Ruby and has excellent documentation for even the most esoteric libraries. Because I'm a rubyist, I can't tell you much more about it but pythonistas (as they prefer to call themselves) often start with this tutorial, written by the creator of the language, himself. Of course, there are plenty of others so you can just google them, if you like. Here's one that claims to be for non-programmers, in case you're really not that experienced...

These are my suggestions and I think you will be greatly rewarded by following them.
    Good luck!