GUN Help finding a link/article

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by mrburner, Feb 16, 2008.

1. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

I tried searching through the links thread and I did a fairly thorough google search, but can't seem to find what I'm looking for - I keep hearing from multiple sources that only one legally owned "assault weapon" was used in a crime and it was used by a cop

i can't seem to find this info anywhere - everything i'm seeing shows statistics of total assault weapons used in crimes, not legally owned assault weapons

2. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

3. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

thanks man - almost exactly what i was looking for, i just need one that says this was the only crime where a legally used assault weapon was used

i'm just sending a couple of links to a friend at work, but he's a huge dem and is in huge support for gun control but won't give me reasons why - he doesn't seem to understand what exactly is considered "gun control" but regardless of what it is, he's for it...ugh

4. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

I have hard crimes committed with "assault rifles" is a very small percentage overall, but no articles or facts to provide you with.

5. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

also on the same subject - anyone happen to have the law/statute that says convicted felons cannot own guns due to their rights being removed

this guy is trying to argue semantics with me that since i say gun control laws only effects law abiding citizens and he considers the above gun control that effects non law abiding citizens...i consider it more of having that and other rights removed when becoming a felon and not a direct relation to gun control - either way it's semantics and i'd like to read the specific statute

once again, i tried but i suck at google...

6. sprite

sprite Active Member

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/legal/prohibitions.htm :dunno:

7. Silver96Firebird

Silver96Firebird New Member

I think your confused on this one.... the stat was that only one legally owned machine gun was use in a crime and it was a cop.

8. sneakyjesus

sneakyjesus New Member

either way, fuck gun-grabbers.

9. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

so there are other cases of legally owned "assault weapons" used in crimes by their owners?

10. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

What is an assault weapon? If you're just talking scary looking semi-automatic rifles like ar's and ak's, sure. If you're talking legal fully automatic weapons, then things change.

11. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

not my personal view on what assault weapons are, but since it is an argument against the ban, i'm talking about weapons that would be included in an assault weapons ban bill

which is generally referring to scary looking guns because the people who make these laws seem to only care about how scary a gun looks :dunno:

12. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

If thats the case then I don't know of any statistic that has that information compiled but guns of all varieties are used in crimes, both scary looking and regular. Even then you'd have to look at the assault weapons ban in particular to see what is banned, is there a grandfather allowance, is the ban by name or cosmetic feature, etc.

I think the more effective argument for what you're wanting is to just ask the anti's to show you that the 10 year federal assault weapons ban impacted the crime rate. It did not. You can also look at the FBI's UCR expanded homicide statistics and see that rifles typically account for 4% of firearm related homicides in the US, and that includes grandpa's wood stocked rifle and the scary black ones. I've yet to have an anti tell me why they're working so hard on this less than 4% of guns.