Help diagnose what's wrong with my squat.

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by PaddoK, Oct 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaddoK

PaddoK Some dolphins get massacred, some dolphins get blo

Ok so disclaimer: I know exact diagnosis will be impossible without videos of form, but I'm looking for general ideas about what to try. :hsugh:

Cliffs: back squats feel like SHIT, front squats when deracked feel OK, front squats cleaned off the ground feel GREAT. WHY?

Here is where I stand:
    1) stopped doing back squats (BS) a few months ago, form felt like it was getting shitty. Knees too far forward and movement in lower back.

2) Replaced BS with front squats. Felt a lot better, haven't done back squats in a while.

3) Tried BS a day ago for the first time, and they felt like SHIT :o. Like my body didn't even want to move in my "normal backsquat motion." Decided to clean a lighter weight up off the ground and front squat it.

4) Front squatting with olympic grip after cleaning the bar off the ground feels SO much better on my knees, legs, and back, than simply deracking the back from the squat rack and using the bodybuilders/arms crossed grip.

What the hell is going on here? What could I be doing which would make a cleaned squat feel great, and a deracked squat feel shitty.

When I derack for a front, I stand up as straight as I can (I'm pretty sure I bend though on the way down.) get a belly full of air, and try to lead with my butt.

When I clean it, I do a normal deadlift (or clean I guess). The only things different, are that my stance is narrower and the grip. The strange thing is narrow stance feels really uncomfortable while deracking the bar and walking it out, but it feels great when cleaning the weight up.

Anybody have any advice? Things I should try? Speculation as to why this is happening? :x: I guess I will be cleaning all front squats from now on.

2. Tetragrammaton

Tetragrammaton New Member

3. chickenadobo

chickenadobo New Member

Why don't you just derack your front squat with the clean grip instead of the cross-arms style. Your upper-body probably doesn't stay as upright when you do the crossarms as opposed to the clean grip front squat which may be why it doesn't feel as good.

Try bringing your stance in on the back squat like you do with the FS. Didn't give us a lot of info on your BS. Really don't know what to tell you. High bar placement, narrow stance, initiate with the hips, keep lower back arched. Doesn't get more simpler than that. Could be a flexibility issue as well.

4. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

5. Fireman68w

Fireman68w Banned

Try doing box squats. They really help with my form.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.