Help! Debian 3.0 install from scsi cdrom

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by col_panic, Feb 1, 2004.

1. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

i am installing debian for the first time and everything is fine so far, except the cd is booting from my scsi cdrom and that is not an option for installation source. i can do a network install, but i spent hours downloading ALL 7 cds yesterday. anyone know how i can get it to install from the scsi cd?

2. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Never burn all 7 CDs for debian unless you are on a modem. Use the first CD to install a base system, setup networking, then use APT/deslect/tasksel to get everything else you need.

Having said that....when you boot off the CD what kernel image are you choosing? You should have the option of vanilla, compact, idepci, and bf24.

vanilla has support for most devices, but you might want to try bf24 if that doesn't find your SCSI CD drive. If the CD rom doesn't show up in the list of useable install mediums, it just means that it hasn't found your SCSI CD drive.

If you really can't get, and you WANT to use your CDs, you can do a network install (which is only about 50MB of stuff to d/l). Then boot up your working system, setup your SCSI CD drivem and then define that as one of your APT sources. The problem is you will be switching CDs all the time, which really sucks.

Hope this all makes sense.

3. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

makes perfect sense. i guess i should have selected bf24. i ended up installing all the packages i wanted from network and it came to 218 MB. not that big of a deal. at least i only burned the first 3 cd's :hs:

thanks for the info - next time i will know what to do :big grin: