Help controlling computer fans

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GuOD, Jan 7, 2005.

1. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

I just wanted to know the details of this process.

My case fan only has a 4-pin molex connector. Does that mean that if I use my motherboard settings to control fan speeds it will NOT control that fan (because it's not connected to the motherboard fan detectors?)

If this is true, how do I connect it to the little 3 pin plugs on the motherboard?

Second question: My secondary case fan comes with a 3 pin plug attached to it, and then it plugs into a 4pin molex adpater and into the power suppply. Can I just plug that little 3 pin plug into the motherboard or is that not what it's for?

Thanks for the help, really apprecaite it!

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

does the fan lack a 3-pin connector? If so, then it will not be fan-controlled.

Depending on the fan, you can usually plug the 3-pin fan directly into the motherboard. However, check to see the current draw the fan requires, because you do not want to overload the fan header on your motherboard, as that could fry the board.

3. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

I bought an antec sonata case. It comes with 1 fan installed and that fan ONLY has a 4pin connector.

I also bought a secondary 120mm Vantec stealth. This fan has a 3 pin coming out of it, I plug it into the adapater than came with it to go to 4pin molex and then plug it into the power supply.

The power supply has fan only power plugs which control them based on the cpu temp, but I would prefer to use my motherboard to make them spin at high speed all the time during games and low during windows mode.

Is this impossible?

EDIT: I just found this here about the Vantec fan so I guess it's safe for me to plug it into the motherboard? I have an ABIT AV8

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/vantecstealthfans.php

I noticed that it does not include the 120mm fan but I'm assuming it's also safe to plug that one into a header?

And is there any way to then connect my Antec sonata case fan to a motherboard header without frying it? since it only has a 4pin connector?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2005
  4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

The antec sonata has a "fan only" 4-pin on the psu, so just plug your fans into that, and then plug the psu's 3-pin connector (with the black and blue wire) into your motherboard. The mobo will fan control the PSU, and the psu will fan control the rest of the fans.

5. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

I realise that but it says that those fan pins (the 4pin ps ones) control fan speeds based on temperature. I realise that's useful but if I plan to overclock my video card/cpu I want the fans to be automatically set to max when I play games so they don't spin slowly at first?

Or does this not matter?

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

think about it.... you play a game, temperatures rise, then fans spin faster. There's a reason it's temperature controlled : quiet when you're not doing much, but cool when you tax the system.