help, computer won't boot after power lost

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by chinisimo, Jun 7, 2005.

1. chinisimo

chinisimo New Member

i'm in the middle of a lightning strom right now and the power clicked off for a few seconds earlier. I thought my desktop comp will be fine since it's plugged into an UPS. when i checked it, i have a blank black screen.

i tried to restart it and it'll load the video card and the motherboard into but it won't load after asking me if i want to boot in "safe mode, safe mode w/ networking, safe mode w/ com prompt, last know config, or normally"

i've tried to boot w/ all of them but windows won't start.

when i use any of the safe modes, it stops after this line:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system 32\drivers\agp440.sys

so is my computer totally fucked now? what can i do to figure out what's wrong and to fix it?

2. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

Sounds like the HDD. :hs:

3. keleko

keleko yes, he is

boot into safe mode and check for corrupt drivers

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

run seatools on it.

and if it were on a ups, then it would not have shut off... so that doesn't sound right.

5. keleko

keleko yes, he is

depends on how old the ups is and how many surges it's protected that pc from already

and, surge protectors do NOT "last forever", they do have a limited life,
    typically 18-20 months at best, before all they do is provide a means to power something and have no protection

just because there's a battery in there doesn't mean a surge won't get through if it's been weakend enough, or if the surge is big enough

similarly, a drop will cause problems if the battery isn't 100% and can't keep up fast enough with the demand from the device(s) plugged into it

6. Intuit

Intuit New Member

Some people make the mistake of plugging non-critical devices such as printers, faxes, modems, speakers, etcetera into UPS battery=backed outlets. Keep those devices independent of the Computer and it's monitor. Those are the only items that truly *need* to be plugged into the battery backup slots. The rest can simply be surge-protected without battery-backup.

It is unusual that a file that isn't normally written to becomes corrupted... so the storm probably caught the drive just as it was writing the FATs unfortunately. Some people will setup their UPS software, to automtically initiate a computer shutdown in the event of power outage. This is a good feature for PCs that might be sitting unattended.

7. beave

beave Housin Beers & Buildin Dams

reseat the motherboard, video card, ram, cpu, all that good stuff. if that doesnt work

slave the hd in another computer and back up the files, then reformatt

8. Kuwi

Kuwi Active Member

reformat