help: computer randomly rebooting

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by phogen, Sep 24, 2004.

1. phogen

phogen Education is a progressive discovery of our own ig

Just today I got hooked up with frontier DSL internet service. It has a install disk that installs some stuff on your computer. I also installed Outpost firewall on the computer. I was deleting some of my old email, and I clicked on one and there was this big long string of random characters in the email, and my computer rebooted.

Since then my computer is randomly rebooting every hour or ever couple hours. It not a clean reboot at all, it just clicks off, and starts to boot up.

Any ideas on what it could be? I uninstalled the Outpost firewall, but it's still doing it.

thanks.

2. Adri1456

Adri1456 Guest

- What are your computer specs?

- Where did you get that firewall? (I never heard of it)

- What operating system are you running?

3. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

What rock have you been hiding under? Actually its one of the better Software firewalls that has kinda faded into background lately...

http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/

4. sleepy71

sleepy71 Guest

virus code, maybe :dunno: If you're using XP, hit F8 when it first starts coming up. Then, select 'Last Known Configuration That Worked', then try it all over again.

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I never heard of that firewall either...

Ditto on what OS you have. If you have XP, I hope you have at least SP1 and some of the updates.

Kinda sounds like the Blaster or lssas worm thing.

6. phogen

phogen Education is a progressive discovery of our own ig

I do have windows XP. And all the latest updates, except sp2. Should I get SP2, i've heard so many horror stories.

I think it might be related to bittorrent. I uninstalled it, and am installing a different version to see if that helps. It seems to be linked to me downloading a certain bittorrent file. Not sure though.