HELP: Computer keeps freezing after boot

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jeff Merr, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

My computer has run totaly perfect until 1 day ago, i left it on overnight to download some stuff, in the morning i turned the screen on and it was frozen, i thought that was weird, so i restarted it, about 2 minutes after it was booted i started connecting to the internet, right when i was typing in the webpage, BAM, frozen again, i was starting to get pissed. To make a long story short, it now freezes EVERY time i turn it on, sometimes its within 30 seconds and i cant even open a program, other times its 10 minutes and it freezes. I dont think its the memory because i just got the new ram about 3 months ago from Mushkin, after i returned a already friend RAM stick and they sent me a fresh one back, and like i said it worked flawlessly and i didnt touch anything, just woke up and turned it on and its all of a sudden got a mind of its own, can anyone help? thanks. I also looked in the BIOS and nothing has changed since like 6 months ago when i built it, im clueless to why it all of a sudden locks up.

Windows XP SP2
    AMD 64-bit 3000+
    512mb DDR3200 Mushkin Ram
    Gigabyte K8NS Triton Mobo

2. JimboJones

JimboJones Guest

Check your CPU fan to make sure you are not overheating.
    Mushkin RAM should be good, but that is probably the next place I would look.

3. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

ya thats the first thing i did when it kept freezing, checked CPU fan, graphics card fan, case fans, power supply fans, all work good. Im actually posting from the computer right now, just turned it on, god only knows how long i got until it freezes

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

for being "good" memory, I've had a lot of problems with mushkin.

regardless of brand, however, run a memtest.

5. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

Sounds like it could possibly be the HDD.

6. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

this is weird, its the morning and i started it up, its been on for about an hour now, i was able to defrag the HD and burn some important things to CD's. I also ran Ad-Aware and AVG Virus scan

7. beave

beave Housin Beers & Buildin Dams

run memtest to see if the ram is the problem.

8. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

You can download Motherboard Monitor to check out your temps...

9. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

All the temps are fine, everything is running around 30-35, is there a bootable version of memtest out there? so i can boot from the CD ?

10. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

11. JimboJones

JimboJones Guest

The only version of Memtest I have ever seen is designed to run automatically from a bootable floppy disk that it will automatically create. I suppose it might be possible to create a bootable CD and put the files on there and then boot to DOS with the CD and run Memtest manually, but I haven't ever tried it.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

seatools has it.

13. Chittenden

Chittenden New Member

this is Jeff Coleman, can you give me a link to that? i searched and just came up with stuff for seagate HD's. thanks

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

15. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

Ok, so i turned my computer on this morning and it froze within 10 minutes, which im used to by now, so i restarted it, and now my monitor has no signal, the button stays orange instead of green on the monitor, and nothing every comes up, its very weird, i tried switching from DVI to VGA cord and still nothing happened, i tried restarting etc., so now im screwed, my computer wont even give my monitor a signal so i cant see crap, anyone have a clue to whats going on?

16. {WBK}Blood_Lust

{WBK}Blood_Lust New Member

have you uninstalled anything recently befrore these problems?

spydoctor caused similar probs after i removed it, i had to run freshieu to disable it in start menu for my puter to not freeze every time it booted up

17. beave

beave Housin Beers & Buildin Dams

take everything out and reseat; try to run the system with minimum stuff; try a pci video card only one stick of ram; reseat the heatsink and processor; run on the bare minimum

**back up your files before you do this**

then i would recommend reformatting with the bare minimum needed to run the computer

18. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

I havnt uninstalled anything, like i said, it ran perfect, i played games every day on it etc., then one morning it was just totaly fucked. It seems like its been getting worse and worse, i tried to run memory test but it froze 10 minutes into it, now i cant even get the screen to show whats going on. Ill try reseating everything when i get home, but this is really pissing me off, it could be anything, im thinking its more of a hardware issue rather than a software or OS issue

19. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

im guessing im SOL?

20. Missile Command Kid

Missile Command Kid New Member

If it's refusing to post, then it's a hardware problem. Have you tried reseating everything like beave suggested? Specifically, if you've got more than one stick of RAM, have you tried running your system on one or the other?

21. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

Take the systemboard out of the case and set it on a non-conductive surface (the foam that came in the box is great for this.

Only install what you must
    CPU, vid card and RAM, KB and mouse (you can skip the mouse if you aren't testing windows) Obviously connect your monitor.

connect your power cables but leave the board out of the case. You will need to connect your CPU fan though, so have it handy.
    I would clear the BIOS before doing anything. Usually its a jumper (often red) that you move from one set of pins to another for a minute or so. After a minute, put it back.
    power the system up and look for POST errors.

If all goes well, you should get a message saying no IDE drives detected or Floppy error. This is OK as you don't have these things connected.

Go into the BIOS and configure only the most basic settings. Time/Date, make sure FSB timing is correct, etc.

After everything is correct, I want you to pop a movie in your home DVD player and watch it. Let the system sit and see if anything goes wrong. If nothing goes wrong, start looking at how you installed the board. Did you not use spacers or risers of some sort? The board could be grounding out.

After it seems stable in teh case, begin attaching devices one at a time. First, maybe try a floppy or CD drive. Boot from something like a Win98 boot disk or Knoppix live-cd.

After those run stable, connect your HDD and test.

I would agree thoughwith MCK. It sounds like hardware at this point.

22. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

actually, it is recommended that you not use the foam that came with the motherboard. A dry, non-conductive surface such as granite is ideal. Wood is fine, too.

23. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

Ok, so i reseated everything, i took every single peice off the motherboard, and reseated them. Now the computer runs perfect. Can anyone explain to me why this happened? My computer never gets touched, how could something all of a sudden get a bad connection or something? i really dont understand it. Glad its fixed though

24. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

ever play oldschool nintendo? Ever have to take out the cartridge, blow on it, and shove it back in? yea... kinda like that.

25. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

but thats from wear and getting stuff on the connections because you take the cartridge in and out all the time, when i built my computer i put the new memory in and havnt touched it since, how could it all of a sudden have a bad seating?