A&P Help choosing a new point n shoot

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by b3av3r, Mar 19, 2009.

1. b3av3r

b3av3r Member

I think I am about to retire my old point and shoot camera. It does great except in low light conditions (the last 3 times I have used it). I was just wondering what you guys can recommend for a pretty slim camera that will do well in darker settings.

Right now I have a nikon S6 and unless you set it to night shots, which always come out blurry, then they pics are useless. I am kind of partial to nikon but am open to just about in brand as long as its a decent camera. It needs to be something that can go in my pocket or on my belt.

2. Drunken Karnie Midget

Drunken Karnie Midget In Yeo We Trust, All Others Pay Cash OT Supporter

Peeps been screaming about the canon G9 or G10

3. pooperr

pooperr New Member

I second the G9. I forget the price difference between the 9 and 10, but ever since its inception, I've been drooooling over the G9. and I don't even know how to properly take a good picture lol

4. Mutombo

Mutombo New Member

If you want something really compact, check out the Canon SD series. I just picked up a SD870IS for $150 and it works great and fits in your pocket.

5. b3av3r

b3av3r Member

size isn't the major factor here, almost any point and shoot will be small enough. my main concern is getting shots in low light settings that look decent.

6. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

Don't want to burst your bubble but I don't think it is the camera that is at fault here. Mosts p&s cameras are going to be OK in low light conditions and very few, if any, are going to be great. You need ambient light, a flash, and/or a tripod to get good photos, period.

The sensors have gotten better over the years but most aren't great at high ISO. Find one that fits the rest of your needs first, then look into a tripod to assist with your nighttime shots. And also look into reading the manual about how to take nighttime shots.

7. Bloke

Bloke Banned

yes my point and shoot cant really do anything over iso 200 so low light is basically 1/5-1 sec exposures. :ugh: the fact its lens really could use another stop as well.

8. NSX

NSX OT Supporter

Canon sucks ass when it comes to low-light in their point and shoot cameras. Anything above 200 ISO is useless.

If you're looking for the absolute low-light camera (point and shoots anyway) without using flash, NOBODY can touch Fuji cameras. They have the cleanest 800-1600ISO images that rival the DSLRs.

9. b3av3r

b3av3r Member

oh no I understand the limits on point n shoot cameras but I know there have to be some that do better with higher ISO than others. that is what I am looking for. I have played around with my ISO settings on mine but either it is too slow to hold steady or the pics are nasty looking.

These particular situations a tripod is out of the question. If a tripod or a bigger camera was doable I would just bring my d50.

if this is true then it sounds like this is what I am looking for. If a fuji can shoot 800 iso cleaner than my nikon at 400 I am in business. Do you happen to have one you could post up some pics?