GUN help choosing a Home defense weapons

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 2C4L, Sep 6, 2004.

1. 2C4L

2C4L New Member

Hey guys, i am looking to invest in 2 home defense weapons, now, the criterea, one must be a pump shotgun, not longer than 36 inches overall, and another must be an AR15 carbine of some sort, any advice is greatly appreciated, and places to find these weapons or the best price would be great too :) thank you :)

2. nost

nost Guest

spas 12 guage

3. 2C4L

2C4L New Member

hmm, anyone know of a cheap place to obtain a bushmaster?

(btw, the remington 870 looks sufficient, thanks!)

Edit: Anyone have any experience with an SKS? would that be a bit excessive for home defense or so?

Edit2: for the record, i'm in cali, will i run into any law problems with the AR-15?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2004
  4. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

:rofl:

No standard AR for you. :hsugh:

5. 2C4L

2C4L New Member

yeah...thats a !_@#)(@*!# aint it...stupid california -_-...anyways, my father is pushing to buy a ruger 10/22, anyone have any experience with that?

6. KiddX

KiddX Tigth as Piston In Ferrari Engine!

unless you're being overrun with mice, a 10/22 isnt gonna do shit.

home defence = shotgun with buckshot.

7. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

good choice if you want to plink them to death.

8. 2C4L

2C4L New Member

9. 2C4L

2C4L New Member

wow, thanks clean :) i will definately look into this :) thanks everyone! (btw, if anyone has any info on that ruger 9mm carbine, that'd be great!)

10. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

honestly, if you can't go with an AR, go with either a ruger mini-14 (god, i never thought i'd hear myself say that. ever), or a 12-gauge with 00 buck (yet another one i never would've normally recommended). i'd prefer the .223, but if you get a mini-14, you can't use 5.56, because it's chambered in .223. probably not a good idea in the long run. 00 buckshot would normally be too penetrative for my tastes, but hell, if you're choosing between that and a single 9mm round, i'd rather be using the shotgun. i'll worry about stopping a threat first, and stopping overspray second.

11. sextech

sextech New Member

you dont want to over penertate and kill someone with a sks or ar15 go with a shot gun with game load ,indoors you should be close enough to take even a large man off his feet with a 12 gauge. and make sure you get a light for it you dont want to kill the kids for getting a glass of water.

12. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

Did someone call for HD weapons?

[​IMG]

To give you some hints/ideas, I thought I'd post this info/picture. The specs are below from top to bottom:

Bushmaster pre-ban lower
    Bushmaster 16" upper w/ Wilson fake FS
    Tango Down Battlegrip
    KAC RAS
    KAC foregrip
    A.R.M.S. #40 BUIS
    Trijicon Reflex II w/ A.R.M.S. #15 mount
    Surefire M962 w/ A.R.M.S. throwlevers, M3 strike bezel, SW02 tailcap

MIDDLE
    Remington 870 Exp. Mag. HD model w/ factory 2-shot extension.
    Wilson Trac-Lock ghost ring night sights
    Wilson oversized safety
    Wilson (TacStar) 6-shot sidesaddle
    Surefire Forend
    Speedfeed Tactical IV-s
    GG&G rear single point sling attachment
    GG&G front sling attachment
    CQB Solutions (now Spector) 6 shell holder

BOTTOM
    Olympic pre-ban lower
    Bushmaster 14.5" pre-ban upper
    Reverse carbine flash suppressor
    Bushmaster 6-pos telestock
    Hogue grip
    A.R.M.S. #38S-EX-MOD
    A.R.M.S. #22M68
    KAC RAS
    KAC side QD sling mount
    GG&G QD sling mount on front sight post
    GG&G QD sling mount on telestock
    GG&G single point sling mount
    Surefire M900a w/ A.R.M.S. throwlever
    Aimpoint CompM w/ Killflash

Now, as where to get this stuff -- the internet is the best source and will have the greatest variety (duh) and the best prices. A decent portion of my stuff was purchased on forums due to the fact that 2nd hand stuff is considerably cheaper. There's about $6,000.00 retail in the picture above, yet I think I only have about $4,000.00 in it all. While it is still a bunch of money, $2k is decent savings. Also, those didn't get built overnight; the great thing about accessorizing is that it can be done one step at a time. As the famous saying goes, "Rome wasn't built in a day..."

EDIT: OOPS! I missed the fact that you were in Kali. I guess you could get one of those bastardized ARs that can be fed w/ 10 rounds by opening up the gun, but geesh, maybe you should pass on the AR idea. Question though -- can one purchase a pre-registered AR from another Kali citizen? If so, look for a used, legal one and do that.

13. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

Since you're in Cali, maybe you should just stick with a baseball bat :dunno:

14. footratfunkface

in the PRK, you're not allowed to defend yourself. you're supposed to let the government defend you. curl up in the fetal position, and wait for help.

15. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Over penetration from .223? Compared to what? Non-steel core .223 is less likely to over penetrate than 9mm, .40 or .45 and people have no problems advocating those for home defense.

I do totally agree that a shotgun with #4 shot is a good home defense suggestion. And for the time being it's still Cali legal.

16. 2C4L

2C4L New Member

yeah, definately gonna go with the remington 870, but some of you suggested a specific shot to use to prevent overpenetration. can anyone enlighten me or point me in the right way to reserach and learn about the different shells/shot/etc.? thanks again guys!

(btw, yeah, i give up on the AR15 idea...10 round stripper clip and opening the gun...christ man, i might as well just let him hold my shotgun while i load the damn thing.)

17. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

18. Big Country

Big Country Guest

LOL, i think the 12 ga. with a 3.5" slug (deer slug) will have the stopping power you require. it would require a little more accuracy though.

19. Whalephat

Whalephat Conservative Bastard

I really never have understood the mentality of owning any .223 carbine (AR, M14, etc.) as a home defense weapon. Shotgun or handgun, yes... but a .223? Nope.

I loved my Bushmaster for plinking and varmint killing, though.

20. 2C4L

2C4L New Member

well, i planned the shotgun to be the home defense...the rifle would be a secondary...a plinker mainly...and also just to have ;)

(thanks for the links shackle :))

21. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

A rifle beats a handgun in just about every category except concealability. .223 is a very potent round within the limitations of it's base velocity for fragmentation. www.ammo-oracle.com is a good site for .223/5.56 info.

Why do you think a handgun would be better for home defense than a rifle chambered in .223?

22. Jefferson Darcy

Jefferson Darcy Ol' shit chest

5.56 actually overpenetrates less than 9mm or 00 buckshot....

23. Whalephat

Whalephat Conservative Bastard

I'm surprised that a .223 would overpenetrate less than a 9mm. The sheer velocity of most .223 rounds seems like it would zip right through drywall, hollow-core doors and other common interior construction materials.

I prefer my .40SW chambered with Glasers or wadcutters for home use. Wadcutters make a real mess of the first thing they hit, but lose a ton of forward momentum when they do.

Furthermore, a rifle of any sort is going to be inherently more unweildy in the tight confines of most homes. Hallways, stairways, etc. All places where a handgun is more "manuverable". A short shotgun is a happy medium in my book. :)

[​IMG]

That's what I have stowed away for rainy days. Remington 870 with 18" bbl.

24. footratfunkface

5.56 penetrates less through normal residential wall construction (a layer of drywall, a few inches of space, another layer of drywall) than do 00 buck, 9mm, .45, and most handgun rounds. the reason is not velocity dependent. it's because 5.56 has a MUCH stronger tendency to yaw and fragment. the fragmentation happens very quickly, and just a single wall will make it happen. 9mm, be it HP or FMJ, can punch through every wall in your house, exit the house, and still enter another house after that. same with 00 buck, and just about every pistol round out there. hard targets don't do as much to slow the round down as soft ones do. sort of like how you can karate chop a board and break it in half, but you can't do that to a trampoline.

25. ryanbum

ryanbum Its the one that says Bad Mother Fucker on it

That's the truth...5.56 does penetrate less. but here is my opinion. Get a shotgun. One with a 6-8 shell capacity. Make the first couple shots you fire (last ones to load) a light bird shot. You are virtually guaranteed a few hits even if you are just woken up, incoherent, etc. Next couple go full on 00 buck, I don't know if I'd get Magnum loads, the reduced recoil tactical loads work just fine. The last few are good ole fashion slugs to make sure your intruder isn't getting up, also good if they are running away.