GUN Help choosing a 1911

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Chris51080, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Chris51080

Chris51080 I like pie

Im sure this has never been asked before, but I want to get a 1911 and need help. :noes:

I was originally thinking about the Kimber TLE, but recently I saw the Dan Wesson PM-XSS http://danwesson.sectordevelopment.com/products/catalog/1/7

Anybody have experience with the DW? Is it any good? Anything else I should be looking at?

2. AB13

AB13 New Member

How much are you able to spend and what are you using it for? Do you want something that performs or something to name drop? My current competition gun is a Dan Wesson.

3. Chris51080

Chris51080 I like pie

Under 1k, whatever I don't spend goes to ammunition. I couldn't care less about name dropping, I just want the best performance for the least money.

I would use it for trips to the range, as well as home protection.

4. AB13

AB13 New Member

I'd have you take a look at the Dan Wesson Bobtail .45. Fit and finish is unrivaled in that price range and higher and would be an excellent CCW and range piece. Don't just take my word for it, google them and come to that conclusion yourself.

Most range rats will say "Dan who?" if it's anything than a Kimber or Springfield. Don't be fool, Dan knows the 1911 pattern very well, and since moving to CZ, Dan Wessons quality and tolerances are unbelieveable. They are highly regarded in the 1911 world.

here's a good unbiased review of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CrcoRKG3E0

Quality build, fit and finish with quality Ed Brown parts through out. You can not go wrong with it.

5. Thumper

Thumper OT Supporter

I am looking at getting a commander sized 1911 and have pretty much narrowed it down to these two:

Smith and Wesson 1911 PD - biggest thing for this one is it is LIGHT 28oz vs 34oz for the DW

[​IMG]

Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail - probably a better quality gun

[​IMG]

I have read good things about both. Who knows what I will end up doing. I have handled the S&W and really liked it. I have not had a chance to handle the DW yet. Both can be had online in the $850 neighborhood.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2008
  6. AB13

AB13 New Member

Both good guns. I shoot with a sponsored S&W shooter, and his DK performance center .38 super is unbelievable, but far from "stock".

7. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Excuse my lack of knowledge on the 1911 platform but is the only difference between Government and Officer the physical size of the frame/slide?

8. Chris51080

Chris51080 I like pie

Thanks for the advice, I was hooked on Kimber, until I found a couple of posts on the 10-8 forums on the Dan Wesson 1911's. After researching a bit, they seemed to be well made, and well spec'd particularly for the price.

I would prefer a full size 1911. Do you know anything about the PM-XSS? It looks to be exactly what I want. What would the advantage of going to the bobtail be, if anything?

9. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Government model should be full size frame w/ 5" barrel and 7rd magazine. Don't know if the officer model is just a shorter barrel or also has a smaller grip.

10. AB13

AB13 New Member

No advantage, it'll pack easier is all if you plan to use it as your self defense piece as well as be a great range gun.

I can't comment on the "pre-CZ" 1911's, they seem to really up the anty with quality when they were bought by CZ. In that price range I'd recommend the PM-7. You can get one for 850, I paid 840 for mine. Here are some pics of mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]