Help! Cant Reformat, computer shutting itself down!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Sean, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Sean

Sean OT Supporter

Ok so I figured that I would reformat my laptop because its starting to run pretty slow. Its a Compaq I bought a year ago with alot of useless stuff I don't need. I tried to reformat using a regular XP Disk and as soon as I get to the blue screen and pick NTFS the progress bar starts and my notebook shuts itself down. I have tried many things and I asked Compaq for their real recovery disk and I still have the same problem. My computer just keeps shutting down when I try to reformat. There are no random shut downs when I'm normally using it, only when I try to reformat.

Please help. :hs:

Cliffs - Tried reformatting XP using different disks and supplied Compaq Recovery disk and no dice. Laptop shuts itself off during reformat.

2. sonicsuby

sonicsuby New Member

What model laptop?

3. Sean

Sean OT Supporter

Compaq V5303NR

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Reformat the drive in another machine.

5. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

I have a solution that should work, but I need you to figure out a couple things on your own.
    Can you make it boot from a floppy? How about a floppy drive connected through the USB port?

If you can here is what you do:

Go here:
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Download the disk for either W98SE or WME.

Fuck I am no help. I can't remember the name of the program to use. It has been too long.

Anyways on that disk is a program that will remove the partitions on the hard drive. Run it.
    Then repartition the drive with it. Finish up by formatting it in FAT format.

When you are done that the hard drive should be clean. You can now boot from the WXP or Vista disk, delete the partition AGAIN and repartition it into NTSF and reinstall.

I am no help. Not only can't I remember the name of the program, but you might need help using it.
    It was too long ago. Maybe someone here can fill in the blanks.

6. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

FDISK it is called FDISK!

Go to this page for instructions:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/install/fdisk.htm
    You want to follow the instructions under: Deleting NTSF partition.

After saying all this it MIGHT be possible to create a bootable CD with all the programs that are on a W98 boot disk.
    I wouldn't trust booting with a copy of W98 itself with this. It is possible that FDISK and FORMAT will only work from a floppy.

That is all I got. I once had to do exactly what you are doing and that was my solution. Boot with floppy, run FDISK, format to FAT32, pop in WXP and go from there.

7. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Do most laptops have a spare hard drive bay?
    Mine does.

You know, it is possible to find external enclosures that ONLY hold laptop hard drives. They are USB and it would allow you to use the hard drive with a normal desktop machine.

8. awns729

awns729 New Member

If you want to take out your HDD and reformat it in antoher computer, www.dealextreme.com (not sure how slow shipping is, haven't used it myself, but my friend Loves it) shoulddd have an external enclosure, obviously newegg would too, but that place is cheaper

9. sonicsuby

sonicsuby New Member

My feeling is that there is a problem with your hard disk. You could try booting off an old win98 boot disk and running fdisk, deleting the partition(s) and recreating, then formatting through XP setup, but it may be the same issue. I've seen formatting through Windows setup cause BSOD errors like crazy and it was the disk :sad2:

10. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Running checkdsk /f from the WXP disk would be helpful in this situation.