Help: Can't modify settings in msconfig (admin issue)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by nur23, Aug 14, 2007.

1. nur23

nur23 OT Supporter

Anyone know the service associated with this error?

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/7593/08142007135102zv2.jpg

I've disabled a few services not too long ago, and am certain one of them's responsible for the message i keep getting when i try to disable/enable any start up file on msconfig(To make things worse the comp reverted me back to "normal start up").

I've tried enabling workstation, computer browser, and some others to automatic, but to no avail. I'm avsolutely sure the problem came after i went on a frenzy disabling services.

Also it seems to me that the computer fails to recognize my account as administrator, despite its powers described as "administrator"...how can i make my computer view my particular account as having full privaleges when changing settings?

2. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Try logging in via safe mode -- you should get a login window where you can change the username (change it to administrator) and try logging in without a password or whatever your password is.

3. nur23

nur23 OT Supporter

What's interesting slid is that even when i log into my administrative account via safe mode, i'm still restricted from modifying certain settings(particularly msconfig).

4. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

That's odd. If it were me I'd want to get this behind me by using the XP Repair Install option. If you boot from your XP CD and choose the second repair option (not the recovery console) it should rebuild system files without affecting your installed programs, settings or data (but you should backup just incase before trying this.)

This may not work though since the repair probably won't touch the user accounts, I'd try it anyway though.

5. nur23

nur23 OT Supporter

I have a feeling the problem may perhaps be fixable though, since it occured somewhat after i began disabling a few services(uneeded serveices recommended by a tune up site).

6. sj23

sj23 Active Member

Do you have the latest McAfee installed?

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I've seen that error message before. As long as you're using an administrator-level account, the error message is stupid and pointless.