HELP!! Can't load my Windows profile

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by I'm a Slacker, Dec 26, 2004.

1. I'm a Slacker

I'm a Slacker ASStastic

Could someone help me out here? After typing in my password at the login page I get a message saying

Windows cannot load your profile because it may be corrupeted. I'm on Windows 2000 Pro.

It loads me up with a temp. profile telling me any changes will not be saved. I lost all my links and items on my desktop. :hs:

I tried restarting but that didn't help. Any ideas?

thanks

2. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

The NTUSER.Dat is probably hosed. Go to C:\Documents and settings\ and you should have a directory for your old user name. In there, there should be a file called NTUSER.dat (you will need to turn on Show hidden files). Rename the file to .old or something.

Log on again, it will give you a new profile (and new directory). Now go back to documents and settings. There will probably be 2 directories, the old one and a new one with .000 on it. Copy Desktop, Favorites, and My Documents from the old directory to the new .000 one. That will givee you back your favs, documents, and desktop files.

You will need to re-configure your software (email accounts, etc). Depends on what you use for email on how you get your email back.

If you can't figure out what the new profile directory is after you rename the NTUSER.DAT file, go to start, run and type %USERPROFILE% and hit enter. It will open the directory for you NEW profile when you are logged in.

3. I'm a Slacker

I'm a Slacker ASStastic

thanks trying now.