Help, can't get new HD to work

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by sffitzge, Jan 19, 2009.

1. sffitzge

sffitzge New Member

So I've cloned my HD using acronis onto my WD passport essential WD3200BMVS 320 gb drive. When I plug it in using the usb connection it shows up as a second C drive and appears to have copied all the files. When I cloned it acronis formatted the drive and made sure to clone the service partition.

Now I've taken apart the HD and tried installing it into my computer and I'm getting "disk read error press ctrl alt delete to restart"

When I went into the BIOS it showed that it recognized the HD

What could the problem be and how do I get it to work?

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

What OS? If XP, boot off the CD, go to the recovery console and try the fixboot or fixmbr commands. If it's Vista, there should be some recovery tools on the CD that's similar to the XP recovery console.

3. sffitzge

sffitzge New Member

I figured if I cloned the service partition (I have a T60 and they partition off part for recovery) that I could just clone and swap

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

You should be able to... I cloned a Dell hard drive last week and ran into a similar issue. I actually copied the restore partiton to a DVD and then restored it to a new drive.

The new drive wouldn't boot, so I had to boot off an old floppy disk and run fdisk /mbr to get it to boot... Either way I think your problem is along those lines, but I'm not sure how the Lenovo recovery partitions work.